SOLD BOGART SKC BLACKSTONE CLASSIC 5 - graphite monster!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by MoonDoggy, Sep 7, 2019.

1. MoonDoggy

MoonDoggy Registered Loser Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2005
    Altoona, PA
    Price:
    Strings:
    I currently have two of these Bogarts, and this is the fourth one I've owned in total. I've also owned Status, Modulus, Moses, and played Zons. I keep coming back to Bogart! I feel Bogarts are better in every aspect. The necks are phenomenal, thin, and more comfortable than the others. The tone is perfect. It's not super bright and can achieve punchy and warm unlike the Modulus I've played. They're built very well. Bogarts are typically the least expensive compared to the other graphite guys. And like all graphite instruments, they're extremely stable and less susceptible to temp and humidity changes.

Here's specs:

- Newer Classic model with normal head (the older versions were semi-headless)
    - 34" scale, 24 fret graphite (woven) neck, Pau Ferro fingerboard??
    - 18mm spacing. Adjustable from about 17-19mm.
    - Hipshot ultralight tuners
    - Bartolini MM & J
    - Noll 3-band pre w/ push-pull vol active/passive
    - Body is red & black figured ash veneer (what Bogart calls Psychowood!) over synthetic and spruce-core flat black Blackstone body
    - 9.0 lbs on bathroom scale
    - Made in Germany
    - Gig bag included

Condition:
    Great condition with the following flaws:
    - Tiny indentation between mid and treble knobs.
    - Black finish chips on string retainer (note this has a zero fret rather than a normal nut. I love this!)
    - Outer 'shell' crack at strap button. I never noticed this for the many months I've owned this bass until I went to clean it up for pictures. It's not structural. From what I gather, this can be fairly common on the Blackstone synthetic bodies.

Price includes S&H in the lower 48 States. I'll gladly ship internationally at extra cost.

Why am I selling... I have two Bogart 5 strings and I could use some cash. My other Bogart is an older semi-headless model and isn't in as good condition. So I figured this Classic 5 is worth more and will help me out more financially. Asking $1900 shipped.

TRADES EDIT:
    POSSIBLE trade interests:
    - Dingwall NG3 5 or 6 (I gotta see what this buzz is about and hear that low B for myself!)
    - Dingwall D-roc 5
    - Curbow XT33 6
    - Emerald Balor 5
    - Fbass BN6 ceruse
    - Sandberg Forty Eight
    - Yamaha Attitude LTDII Anniversary (purple or black)
    - Tune Somnus 6/Zi-I or II 6 (slanted bridge version)
    - Tung Wing
    - Vintage Fender P in antigua burst
    - Vintage (70s-80s) BCR Mockingbird NT
    - NS EUB US or EU with concave neck (prefer 5 or 6 string)
    - Spector SB, SD, or other rare US models
    - 90s Warwick Dolphin 5
    - Darkglass 410, 810, or 412 cabinet, preferably new neo versions

EDIT: More pics added. Last pic is magnetic field viewing film over the pickups showing the bridge humbucker and split neck pickup coils.

EDIT 2: Price drop from $1900 to $1750

EDIT 3: Price drop from $1750 to $1700

EDIT 4: Update on trades... Would consider a Darkglass cabinet: 112, 210, 212, 410, or other configuration plus some cash.

EDIT 5: Price drop from $1700 to $1600

UNA2uQs.jpg

w3rjTgR.jpg

fw2JFpB.jpg

UewQIiN.jpg

bBfOgGN.jpg

UDoCTRL.jpg

Rr80DwI.jpg

Xip6buR.jpg

WAL9M2g.jpg

GVXNyRq.jpg

sexOYDs.jpg

ug5raqX.jpg

jZs7hW2.jpg

KXl568P.jpg

5KRwRR0.jpg

GyikDq5.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    rusted247, gscroggin, NigelD and 11 others like this.
  2. hmmn... let's talk... I'll PM you

3. MoonDoggy

Dec 15, 2005
    Altoona, PA
    Price drop from $1900 to $1750

4. MoonDoggy

Dec 15, 2005
    Altoona, PA
    Price drop from $1750 to $1700

5. StephnG

StephnG Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2014
    Belvidere, IL
    Trade Interests??

6. MoonDoggy

Dec 15, 2005
    Altoona, PA
    I MUCH prefer cash. If I were to trade, it would likely only be for something that was easier to sell! PM me what you have. The worst I'll say is no!

7. MoonDoggy

Dec 15, 2005
    Altoona, PA
    I'm about as low as I can go on this one without losing my arse. But I'm motivated, so I'm now entertaining reasonable offers. Again, I'm not looking for trades.

8. MoonDoggy

Dec 15, 2005
    Altoona, PA
    Ok, update on trades... Would consider a Darkglass cabinet: 112, 210, 212, 410, or other configuration plus some cash.

9. DeathDancer

DeathDancer

Oct 10, 2005
    Fairfax, VA
    Beautiful bass! I'd snatch it up if I could afford it.

MoonDoggy likes this.
  10. MoonDoggy

Dec 15, 2005
    Altoona, PA
    Price drop from $1700 to $1600.

11. MoonDoggy

Dec 15, 2005
    Altoona, PA
    Just an FYI as a point of reference, The Low End currently has a 6 string headless version of this bass with a 'natural' Psychowood top for $1900 + S&H on eBay, Reverb, and their site. I feel my price is fair.

5StringPocket likes this.
  12. MoonDoggy

Dec 15, 2005
    Altoona, PA
    Updated trade interests...

13. Pappasgrind

Pappasgrind Goratory-sour grapes out now!!

Aug 13, 2009
    What about the black one

14. MoonDoggy

Dec 15, 2005
    Altoona, PA
    Sorry, but I intend on keeping the all black semi-headless Bogart.

15. MoonDoggy

Dec 15, 2005
    Altoona, PA
    Updated trade interests in the original post

16. MoonDoggy

Dec 15, 2005
    Altoona, PA
    Looking for some input and general opinions... Why do you think this Bogart is such a tough sell? I'm assuming it's because Bogart doesn't have the popularity of Modulus, Status, or Zon. It seems rare to find any of those more well-known brands sell under $2k used. Since I'm well under that, I assumed my price was fair. But maybe not! Thoughts?

17. Loudart

Loudart

May 30, 2014
    Maury City Ghost Town Tennessee
    www.MetalRecordingServices.com
    Its hard to say. But our dollar to Euro exchange is bad so not many are looking for German Basses new. I was specifically scouting. But I only want a 4 string. I d love to trade a sweet gigi4 for four string of these with the skinnier neck. These got shut of mag reviews when they first came so the US doesnt know how good they really are. Not a five string guy. I think you close at last drop. IT is not comfy year for many to buy that high up the food chain.

18. Modulus 96

Modulus 96

Jun 10, 2018
    In regards to the difference in scale, what is your opinion on the B string between the bogart and a modulus q5?

It looks to me like that strap button took a hit. As well it appears to no longer be at a right angle to the body. If you remove it does the crack close up? Hard to tell with the photo, maybe I'm seeing it wrong. Could you check?

19. MoonDoggy

Dec 15, 2005
    Altoona, PA
    The Low B on this Bogart is on par with the Lane Poor-equipped Modulus Q5 I had. It's punchy and cuts through without being muddy or floppy. But the Bogart's low B (and overall tone) is more growly and less bright than the Modulus. The Status 6 I owned long ago was very sterile in my opinion. It lacked any great tone. It was very even with zero dead spots like the Modulus and this Bogart, but the Status just lacked any 'oomf' or character to the tone. What I like best about the Bogart's tone compared the the Status and Modulus was it's versatility. It could accomplish what the the others couldn't and that is the ability to go from a punchy modern feel to a warm growly vintage vibe using P, MM, and even J tones.

Regarding the crack, I removed the strap pin, and the crack did not close up. What I did notice was that the upper horn's button and the bottom's upper button (by the crack) have hex head screws while the bottom's lower screw (nearest the controls) has a phillips head screw and a different button. I can only assume the previous owner change the two strap buttons and screws to what looks like Schaller style strap lock-able buttons. That button by the crack does go in at an angle, so it either took an impact or the screw was simply driven in crooked when the strap button was replaced. The button seems very solid and has no play, so I have to assume it was not caused by an impact, and least not one that rendered the button unusable! And of the maybe 10 used Blackstone-bodied Bogarts I've seen over the years, I've seen this outer 'shell' crack twice. I hope this helps.

20. DeathDancer

DeathDancer

Oct 10, 2005
    Fairfax, VA
    With the pau ferro fb is it still able to get the 'hi-fi" sound) clarify of a Modulus or is it trading that off for the growl?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 23, 2022