1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bolting a bolt on neck onto set neck body?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by BackstagePlus, Mar 19, 2013.

1. BackstagePlus

BackstagePlus

Jan 20, 2012
    In My House
    Bit of an odd story here, but my uncle gave me an old 80's imitation Gibson (Hondo I think) that had a set neck with a huge crack. Changing the strings was all it took to snap it. I don't play guitar much, and I sold all of my old guitar gear, but it would be cool to have one again. A friend gave me a Squire bolt on neck ( he got a Mighty Mite) but the Hondo takes a set through neck. Would it be possible to drill the holes for the bolt on and just screw it in? The cavity where the neck goes is quite thick (it is the thickness of a Les Paul Supreme, but still has access panels and such), I may need longer screws than my friend gave me from his Squier, and the neck sits at about the right height when I lay it there. I thank everyone in advance, and I apologize if this is a stupid question...

2. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Not a stupid question.

It may take some routing to get a smooth plane/ neck pocket for the neck to sit in, and the scale length is probably different if following the Gibson 24.75 scale length, vs. the Fender 25.5, so there would possibly be some bridge re-locating as well, but it's not impossible. Up to you to decide your skill-set and comfort with these mods against how worth it it is to you to do.

3. BackstagePlus

BackstagePlus

Jan 20, 2012
    In My House
    Not sure what routing is, but I was able to get it to stay. The intonation is off, too sharp, beyond the capabilities of the bridge. Relocating is probably the only option for that one, but I had the neck in the exact same spot as the old one. Could it be that scale difference?

4. BackstagePlus

BackstagePlus

Jan 20, 2012
    In My House
    Thanks for the 25.5/24.75 scale lenghs, I spaced out 3/4", drilled new holes in the neck and got it to get good intonation. The Squire machine heads do no justice at all but it's something to toy around with. Again, thanks for the help.