Bon Jovi bassist (first one)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by szvonek, May 2, 2004.

1. I'm sure you've heard the story like me about how this guy got fired for, well, not being up to par on his playing (nice way of saying 'sucking'.) I guess they were all high school friends, etc. but he kept screwing up live or something.

Does anyone know if he played on any albums? Or did they have someone else play his parts for him? Was he even that bad? Anyone know anything about this guy?

I'll share a quick story that got me thinking about all this--my cover band's drummer said he saw Bon Jovi in the early days with this bassist, and the guy screwed up in the middle of a bass solo and just stopped. Doh! That sucks. I was surprised he would just stop, I mean you have to assume they've played a few gigs by that point (this was in an arena), and that the guy would have known how to handle screwing up. I just thought that was weird.
  2. Hugh McDonald (who's in the band now) played all the studio basslines.

in one of the Bon Jovi videos it shows them in the studio- and Alec John Such is miming the bassline.

strange why they had him in the band- it's not like he had a particularly great image either.
  3. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Seems he was a childhood friend, seen him live
    not that good.