Bonehead move on my part. Cost me my TI flats!!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by tb-player, Aug 17, 2020.

1. tb-player

tb-player Gold Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2019
    Yesterday, I decided to pull the TI flats off my Bluesman Vintage Deville to see how it would sound with rounds. So I started cranking down the E string to remove it when I hear a *pop* sound. I started looking frantically to see what just happened.

I looked at the tuner and saw the string core snapped. WTH?!? Then I realized... this bass has vintage reverse tuners. :rollno:

Gazman, onestring, JimmyM and 2 others like this.
  2. tb-player

Mar 6, 2019
    Anyone know of a site where I can order just the single TI Jazz Flat E-string?

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  3. I would suggest you get in touch with Jason at Fret Nation, [email protected], and see what he can do.

BrentSimons likes this.
  4. There are a few places that sell just one, pretty overpriced, but they throw the other three in free!

5. tb-player

Mar 6, 2019
    :laugh::laugh::laugh: From the results of my Google searching, I may end up doing just that.

Who knows, maybe I could use this as an opportunity to try out LaBella Low-Tension Flats. Those are the strings the bass builder recommended.

gitfiddl, JGbassman and woodyng2 like this.
  6. DCCat

DCCat

Jan 20, 2020
    Northern Virginia
    I bought mine on Amazon. Looks like they're currently out of stock of that particular string at the moment, though.

7. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Juststrings currently does not have it:
    Electric Bass Guitar Flat Wound Single Strings
    Out of stock at Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/Thomastik-Infeld-JF34100-Bass-Guitar-Strings/dp/B001631NI8
    This store, Bassstringsonly, seems to have it:
    Thomastik-Infeld JF34100 Bass Guitar String
    Don't show it as being available on their sites, but
    Guitar Strings, Accessories, Sheet Music, Violin Strings and MORE
    or
    Guitar Strings and Beyond - Buy Guitar Strings Online and Save!
    may be worth an email.

Haroldo likes this.
  8. tb-player

Mar 6, 2019
    It’s funny. This is my exact Google result. The one that has it in stock is relocating & won’t ship til late-Aug. I’ll check out those last two. Thanks!

HaphAsSard likes this.
  9. Just talked to Jason at Fret Nation. He says he should have one in stock; if not, it would only take a day or two to get one.

10. hotbass57

hotbass57

Nov 27, 2011
    Fairfield,Ohio

There is a single TI E string in the for sale in the accessories here. I bought the D and G.He still had E couple days ago.

11. hotbass57

hotbass57

Nov 27, 2011
    Fairfield,Ohio
    For Sale - Broken-in Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flat Single .100 E String

here's the E for sale.

HaphAsSard likes this.
  12. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    At the time of this posting when using the Amazon app, the Thomastik-Infeld Accordian Accessory (JF344) is $47.60 + $11.73 shipping (and in stock).

13. tb-player

Mar 6, 2019
    Oh nice! Never even thought to look here... lol.

14. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    I had a new La Bella White Nylon Tapewound fail As I was putting it on. So I contacted La Bella. I had to prove to them I bought it new and that it was Being installed correctly. Anyway they sent me a single string. TI’s are a tough loss! Sorry that happened. :rollno:

15. DCCat

DCCat

Jan 20, 2020
    Northern Virginia
    Yeah, LaBella's kind of a hardass that way. They want you to prove the string is bad and it was their fault before they'll replace it, including asking for a recording of the string if you claim it doesn't sound right. On the other hand, when I had a dead DR string out of the pack and I innocently asked if they could recommend a place where I could buy a single, they said, "No need, we'll just send you one." Not necessarily a criticism, because they're different sized companies with different needs. But it's an interesting contrast.

16. I snapped the G string in a brand new set of Rotosound nylon coated strings, because it got stuck in the nut.

I was not going to buy another set, so I joined the string with some cable clamps:

640C857D-4CD2-4B8C-87D6-6BD2BA4A8D1B.jpeg

Eli_Kyiv, tb-player and HaphAsSard like this.
  17. tb-player

Mar 6, 2019
    Whoa! That’s hardcore!

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021