1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bonehead move

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wookie94588, Sep 30, 2008.

1. wookie94588

wookie94588

May 21, 2007
    At a gig last Saturday, I placed a pint glass of beer on my Markbass little mark II. Yes, it spilled a little down the front of the head. I started the second set with very low volume. I had sound, but not much. I had the bass all the way up, just to get some signal out. When I could make it over to the head, I turned it up almost all the way, and for the next couple of songs I had enough volume. As the evening went on, the volume returned. It was a juggling act to keep the volume right as the head "dried out"? By the end of the gig, it seemed to be ok, it does smell like beer in the fan hole though. Does anyone know if I ruined it? Oh, and DON"T PUT BEER ON YOUR AMP HEAD!!!!!
    wookie:rollno:

2. AlstottMVP2

AlstottMVP2

May 9, 2007
    If you had been drinking liquor, you would have emptied the shot glass at the bar, or off the bosoms of whatever lass you were courting that evening. Avoid beer.

I have no advice on the amp. I'm clueless.

3. mynan

mynan

Nov 7, 2007
    Grand Haven, MI
    It probably started working again as the amp dried out. The thing you have to worry about now is corrosion.

4. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I think Sam Adams Octoberfest would have given you better
    performance.

And mynan is right, cheap beers really promote corrosion.

5. wb20

wb20

Sep 9, 2008
    Asheville NC
    Generally, when electronics get wet you want to shut them down APSP. Then towel off as much as you can get to. If possible, disassemble them to allow through drying. You can use flux remover or even distilled water on most circuit boards. Contact cleaner/lube on pots & switches. Compress air can be good for forcing moisture out.

6. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
  7. I want to chastise you, but I think you've learned your lesson.

======================================

Would one of you PhotoShop guys out there construct a "FAIL" pic of a beer on a LMII [or any amp]?

8. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    Is water still OK? :ninja:

I got a mic stand drink holder may years ago. Absolutely a solution to a problem.

9. Rugaar

Rugaar

Apr 11, 2007
    wisconsin
  10. wookie94588

wookie94588

May 21, 2007
    It was a dry-hopped IPA, if that helps. MMM Dry-hopped.

11. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
    Your head needs to be opened up and cleaned with an electronics cleaner. Unless you know what you are doing get a professional to look at it straight away as corrosion may be a factor (beer corrosive? Well on my brain certainly.), but the sugar content will certainly have an adverse effect when dirt starts to stick to it.

Now I'm wondering about bass frequencies and which one would produce the best head on a beer? Would it differ between ales, lagers and stouts?

12. toobalicious

toobalicious

May 6, 2008
    triad, nc
    as a dumb kid, i went to see a local band that i particularly enjoyed. this night, probably the 10-12th show id seen them perform, friends and i had eaten some paper. the bassist played an SVT. he put his sammy a on top and they started.... the beer basically exploded volcano style. since i was yanging like a stupid kid, all i could do was laugh. almost uncontrollably even. at the end of the song, he realized what had happened, then said something like "i wondered what y'all were laughing at". the beach of it all wa sthat they were sounding great and put on an awesome show--- at least i remember it that way.

man, i felt really bad later. i wouldve hated me if i were the bassist. i can only imagine he shared my sentiment.

point? live and learn.

hope your amp makes it.

13. Interceptor

Interceptor

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    Agree on the need for a good rinsing. It'll most likely be fine, but it might get weird with odd little problems down the road. Only time will tell.

You were very lucky. Wet electronics are about as unstable as 1800's nitroglycerine. And about as dangerous.

Get it in for service ASAP.

14. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Would Bass Ale make a difference?:bag:

Yeah, you gotta clean that jewel out.

15. toobalicious

toobalicious

May 6, 2008
    triad, nc
    good one, lol... though ive heard that it is considered a "girl's beer" in some countries.

16. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I once saw a whole class of coke fall into a nice new Yamaha 01V digital mixing desk. That console got fixed time and time again and was never the same again. The repair technicians even nicknamed it "The coke-a-cola console". The coke kept corroding components gradually for years.

Keep ALL drinks away from electronics!!!!!