Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bongo...better than Stingray or just different?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Abemas, Dec 23, 2005.

1. Abemas

Abemas

Dec 15, 2005
    I've noticed in a few different threads that some people are favoring their Bongo over their Stingrays and some are even selling their Stingrays completely. Can some of you that have played/owned both comment on their similarities and differences...particularly the 5 strings?

Thanks!

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Different. I prefer Sterlings and Stingrays over bongos.

Many people swear by ONLY bongos.

Very different feel/tone. Bongos have a very versatile tone, way more piano-like IME, and can produce more booty when called for.

We know what stingrays sound liek. the SR5s have the same electronics as sterlings, which basically is my favorite tone right now. (i play a sterling). Amazingly warm, punchy, amazing slap tone.

3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I just came in from Home Depot. They have a lot of Bongos there.

;)

4. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    it'll especially be interesting to see what the opinions are after more people try out the dual humbucker stingrays.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I plan on buying a HH SR5 :) cant wait.

6. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    my guess is that it'll be the bongo that people who don't like the bongo will like.

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Pretty much

8. The new HH Stingrays & Sterlings don't have remotely the same electronics as the Bongo.

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Correct, but i think its jsut the concept of HH.

10. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    I've played both and I've owned both. I Have two Bongos with a third on the way. I just sold a killer Stingray and I would have kept it if I could have afforded it. The SRHH I played was a great bass, but different than my Bongo HH. I totally unnderstand why some people might not like the Bongo compared to an SR and if Bongo's didn't exist I would be very happy with one (or two, or three). The Bongo 4 just feels like home to me.

For me, its the electronics and the neck of the Bongo that do it for me. I really like the shape of both equally. I want to look for a beatup SR one day to do a refin on. All I know, is that if it says EBMM on it I will probably like it.

11. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    that's disappointing. :meh:

12. Um...no it's not.

13. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I have a Bongo 5HH right now as my main (well... only) bass. I've played a lot of SR5s at various music stores, but have never owned one (though I've come close).

There are a lot more differences than similarities regarding the two:

-First, the body wood. Bongos are made of basswood. I might be mistaken; but I don't think that musicman has used basswood in other designs.

-Also, the electronics are quite different. I'm no tech head, so I couldn't tell you any exact figures or anything.

-The bongos IIRC don't have a maple fretboard option.

-Another difference is the pickups. Looking at them, you'd think they're the same; but the Bongos have neomydium magnets in the p/u's.

-You have 24 frets (Bongo) vs. 22 (SR5).

-The Bongo also has a slightly wider neck (1/16 wider than the SR5).

-As well as the Bongo being a bit lighter (SR5s~10 lbs. / Bongos~9.4 lbs.)

As far as similarities, I think they both have the same bridge, and have maple necks with an 11" radius and 34" scale.

From a sound standpoint. I can sum up the sound of the bongo with two words: growl and bawls. The first time I went direct with the bass, I had the bass EQ cranked - causing the power amps to clip. The bass has thunderous low end unlike any other bass I've owned. Saying that, you'd think that there would be a lack of highs; but saying that would be completely facetious (spelling?).

Hope this helps in some way, shape, or form.

14. sorry for the derailment, but...

plus a BILLION for saying "facetious".. it's practically my favourite word in the English language.

:rolleyes: :D

15. steve21

steve21 Banned

I prefer the HH rays over the HH bongos (Never played an H bongo, and one HSC that I didn't dig). I dunno, something about the ray's wood combo + different kind of pickup sounded nicer to me, and was easier to slap on. The bongos were my favorite MM's until I played the HH SR and the HH SR5.

16. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Sorry for another derailment...

mine is "gromwell"

17. my favorite word in the english language would be censored if I typed it.

18. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    I think different, although, if I had both I would def use the bongo more often because of it's versitility. The sterling is another one of my fav basses (EXTREME GAS for one by the way), it has more of a "rock/emo/pop" sound. They both seem to have the same playability in my opinion though, same great neck feel.

19. bongos are ugly....

and thats all i have to say....

20. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    Bongos may be ugly to you now...but if you play one you will fall in love. They tend to grow on you.