Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Alvaro Martín Gómez A., May 30, 2005.

1. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Hi again.

I've spent the whole weekend playing and listening to my new Bongo and today I decided to record some sound clips with different settings for you TalkBassers to hear. By clicking on the YouSendIt link below, you'll download a .zip file with several recordings of my Bongo plus a pdf file explaining what I did (please read it first).

I'm still messing with the action (the saddles, not the truss rod - the neck is OK), so that's why the fret buzz is noticeable. I think (please correct me if I'm wrong) that the only way to get zero buzz from a bass is:

1. Set the action sooo high and/or
    2. Play with a very light touch

So my basses always buzz, but I think there's a limit in which that buzzing is acceptable: If it isn't noticeable when playing with a band. Maybe in these recordings the buzz is more noticeable than I'd like (I'm not sure), so please let me know how "annoying" is the fret buzz in these recordings to you.

I hope the traffic in this thread will be as high (or higher) as in my previous Bongo one. If that's the case, this YouSendIt link will be dead very soon. Please let me know when that happen, so I'll repost it. Or does anybody know where to host the file? I have a Geocities website, but I can't upload it there.

Hope you enjoy this stuff and find it useful, folks. I highly appreciate your opinions.

2. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Hey Alvaro, and thanks for the soundclips.

I've never experienced fret buzz from my fretted bass, and i have moderate action, and a pretty heavy fingering technique.

Not meaning to flame you or everything, but i believe your truss-rod are too tigth, so you get not enough relief? Fret buzz should never be a concern with a properly set up bass and average technique :)

Great sound by the way!

EDIT: When listening closely to the soundclips, i must say that thats *too much* fretbuzz to me. Where are the fretbuzz coming from? What frets seem to buzz? :)
  3. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Hi, Erlend.

The only way I have to determine if the neck is fine is the Gary Willis method: Press the A string at the first fret and use my right elbow to press it at the 24th fret. Then I lightly tap the string against the fingerboard. It moves just a little bit in my Bongo. Isn't that OK?

Thank you for your comments!
  4. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Well, i have no idea what the Gary Willis method is, hehe :p . We'll leave that question to an experienced luthier\technician!

When you play, you should be able to see where the string is buzzing, rigth? If it's buzzing on a particular fret, then you migth need some fret dressing, or what?

Atleast i know, from my experience with my fretless, that when i had too much relief in the neck and adjusted the action lower, the string buzzed towards the ends of the neck, and when i had to little relief i got buzz on the middle of the neck.

Declaimer: I'm just a poor norwegian kid. 'nuff said :D
  5. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

I can't tell you. Almost anywhere! It seems that the thicker the string, the louder the buzz.
  6. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Well, just asking, do the bass "buzz" when somebody else are playing it? It *could* be your rigth hand technique, without assuming anything :). To avoid fretbuzz, it's adviceable to set the string in a "sideways" motion instead of hitting it "on the top".

Try giving the trussrod some more relief, and be careful about your technique. I'm no pro, but i do my best to help! :hyper:

7. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Well, I never thought about it. I'm going to ask a friend to play the bass to see what happens. After plucking the strings in many different ways, right now the only way I get no buzz is playing VERY softly.
  8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Alvaro, what pickup configuration is your Bongo? Single H, SC/H, HH, or do you have a piezo also?
  9. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Double humbucker plus piezo bridge, Dr. Cheese.
  10. Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    Wow, can you send me the tabs for the " Tap Full Blast " that sounded amazing. Charlie brown was it? :)
  11. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Yes. It's "Linus And Lucy". Glad you liked it. I have it written in standard notation. Do you need the tab? If so, please give me some time to write it down (I'll have it tomorrow). :)
  12. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Thanks for the clips Alvaro (in english this time) :D
  13. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    No, in norwegian please!

:D :D :D :hyper:

j\k :smug:
  14. proc83

Jan 18, 2005
    I love that song! Sounds'll probably take me 10 years to reach that level of playing
  15. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

takk for klemmene Alvaro :D :D :D

Funny: That's the "free translation". For a "human translation"... "4 words translated into Norwegian will cost only: $49.95. Place your order now and we will email your translation back to you on Tuesday, May 31 2005." :D :D
  16. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Uhm.... that means "thank you for the hugs Alvaro"

.... now let me try to translate something into spanish, and see if the "free translator" works! :hyper:

"Sí, sé que Alvaro quiere los abrazos. Pero hago no, desde que algunas personas a menudo tienen mierda en sus caras. "

I'm not sure if it works, but hey :)
  17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Very nice work, but Bongo definitely needs a professional setup.
  18. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    dude.. what were you playing for the slap clips? and the harmonics? and and, dude...

have you tried raising the bridge saddles? it could be as simple as that. my neck is flat (on an ibanez) and all I did was raise the bridge saddles, (could of been the heavier playing style tho)

I'm so easy ;)
  19. hey! really enjoye dthe clips, thanks! any chance I could get the notation for Linus and Lucy? :cool:

Seems like you might need some more neck relief.. as Munji said, great playing, needs a professional set up. :)
  20. Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    Thanks, its good to see how the Bongo sounds, with respect I still cant get over the Bongos looks but this has got me curious about an SR5 with dual humbuckers when they come out. BTW your bass needs a pro set up, thats more fret buzz than I would be prepared to put up with. Congrats on your new purchase - enjoy.