1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Book: Playing The Changes

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by SBassman, Dec 10, 2006.

1. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Berkee Press has a Book/CD called:
    Playing The Changes: Bass.

Anyone know if it's any good?

"In Playing the Changes: Bass, Paul Del Nero presents a unique improvisation strategy based on ear training and a linear interpretation of note relationships.

In this technique, improvised lines are derived from the harmonic construction of chord progressions. Learn how to choose appropriate notes by listening for the tendencies of pitches within modes and tetrachords - groupings of four notes in a scale. In Playing the Changes: Bass, you'll explore the possibilities of focused and linear improvisation, and develop your ability to create musically effective melodies with greater freedom and depth of expression."

2. it sounds good just by the title...and considering its by berklee press, i wouldnt even be worried about the quality, their stuff is good.

3. mstott25

mstott25

Aug 26, 2005
    Guntersville, AL
    I was interested in this book as well. I'm trying to develop my ear more to recognize changes rather than charts and somebody in the db forum had suggested this book.

I put it as one of many other things my wife could pick up for me on Christmas, so I'll have to wait until then to see if it's coming sooner or later!

4. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I have it on order. I'll post some comments when I take a look.

5. ErikP.Bass

ErikP.Bass Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2004
    Any of the people who purchased the book have any thoughts/opinions? :eyebrow:

6. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Paul Delnero teaches a great class at Berklee called performance ear training. This book is about the main focus of the class. It's a great class.

It a great book but I might not be a good judge because I took the class, the consepts have been explained to me.I didn't have to "get" them from reading.

Aj

7. ErikP.Bass

Nov 23, 2004
    Thanks for the response Andrew, can you elaborate on some of the concepts presented in the book that you found helpful. It seems that the book deals with Pitch Axis, Tetrachords and Modes.

Any particular difficulties you experienced (or people in the class) when learning to apply these topics when soloing?

8. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Have you taken any of the chromatic improv classes at Berklee? I'm interested in how they approach it. Is there a book that cover their chromatic improv method?

9. ErikP.Bass

Nov 23, 2004
    Bump. Anyone?

10. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass

No,I never took the upper level Improv classes.

Andrew

11. Cairobill

Cairobill

Dec 15, 2003
    London
    Just chiming in to say that I picked this book up recently and it is (in my experience) an excellent practical guide to soloing over complex jazz changes.

In essence it teaches you to analyse a series of changes ni a tnue and look for a common note (the pitch axis) that you can hang different modes off as the changes cycle through.

I've been studying theory for years but this is enabling me to sing through changes on the bass with far more fluidity and creativity.

A recommended read (in conjunction with other standard texts like Levine etc etc of course).

Cairo