Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bored to Tears

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Don't_Fret, Jul 4, 2004.

1. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    Ok, right now I'm sitting here listening to some Miles and trying to transcribe Paul Chamber's line. Usually I do enjoy it, but right now I can't concentrate on it and frankly I'm pretty bored. I have a lot of stuff in the works like improving my fretless playing, cleaning up my technique, and preparing my audition tapes for college, but I find it really difficult to do any of it for more than a few minutes at a time. I took a break for about a week and nothing has changed. I feel overwhelmed with all the things I need to do, and I music is starting to feel like a research paper or something I have to do for school, and I hate homework. I love music and I want to make it my life but right now I feel stuck. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Justin

2. Then stop transcribing the song for awhile, or forever. Just noodle around, start learning improv, etc. Is is my opinion that once you start making work out of it, your doing it for the wrong reason. It should be fun, so experiment and find what is fun.

3. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    You can learn tons from transcribing...but if your not into it don't do it.

I would work it into my usual practice time...do a measure each time. That won't drive you crazy and so you are not spending tons of time transcribing. A little everyday is better than a few hours all at one time.

Also, walk the bassline with the recording...your ears will start to tell you what he is playing.

As I like Tictac says, shelve it for the time being...you might be trying to do too much.

Hope that helps.

Matt

4. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    Myabe it's just time to take a break?? I remember feeling myself stressed out in a similar situation like yours, and I just didn't do anything bass for a week, or until it didn't feel like a chore to play anymore. I'm not telling you to quit bass or anything drastic like that, but to just take a break and relax, and to only work on the necessities for the time being.

5. It's something you got to do and what you've got to do is often things that you don't enjoy. Bite the bullet and just get on with it. You know it's going to make you better yet you're making excuses. Yeah, like a well known sports brand says:

Just do it

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Chill out and just play for a while. Leave the piece alone for a day or two if you're still having trouble with it and just play. Groove. Improvise.