Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Boss Blues Driver

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Munjibunga, May 2, 2004.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I borrowed my brother's Boss Blues Driver to try out an American Deluxe Fat Strat I'm thinking about buying, and I thought I'd run a bass through it just for kicks. I was very surprised at how well the thing handles the bass frequencies. It gets anything from a little tube-warming sound to all-out disto. The tone control can take it from a sharp edge, bitchen for double-stops (or power chords), to more mellow, to get that crappy Fender Bassman 50 sound some of you seem to crave.

I'd suggest giving it a try next time you've got a couple hours to kill and some basses to slap the piss out of down at GC.

2. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I tryed one once and dug it also, many usable tones... But man do i hate boss.... The only boss pedal I have kicking around anymore is my OC-2 just because I have never found an cctaver I like more... But mabey one day I will be able to get rid of it...

Alex

3. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    So do you hate Boss for a rational reason, or is it just the name? Boss is Roland's stomp box line.

4. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    **edit**

First off, I guess "hate" is too strong of a word... Its more of a sevear disliking...

I know more about effects and manufactures than I do bass my friend, yes I know that they are manufactured by Roland... I am not a moron...

Here is why I very much dislike boss pedals:

Nasty ada conversion
    No hard bypass (they suck your tone in bypass)
    All there modulation effects have bad bleed through
    Cheeply made in taiwan (the new ones)
    And to boot, the have very unoriginal designes...
    that is just a few of MANY reasons why I dislike there products..

Although their early Japaneese products from the 70's are great, still have bleed through, and no hard bypass (even though they use actual stomp switches...) And even some of the later japaneese products are kinda ok, but i HATE fet switching...

Alex

ps. I don't want to lock horns, but I don't apriciate people challanging my knowlage of effects, especialy when they do not know me...

5. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Hey, I just asked a simple question. You may not be a moron, but your people skills need work.

6. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Ahhhhhh ... after reading your profile, I see things a bit more clearly. Perhaps you are the burgeoning Ed Roman of stomp boxes.

7. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Oh for Pete's sake! Silly me. It's right there in your signature.

8. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    **Note**

Sarcasm does not translate well on the Internet... Sorry man, I guess you really have no idea who I am... I thought you did, but I was wrong... I was being so sarcastic it wasn't funny, and I guess that’s why I came across like an arsehole - for that I am sorry... I am "mostly" well liked here on the forum...

So to reiterate, I am sorry I came across as brash... I was having a royally bad day (my guitarist rolled his car down a grass embankment) we had a gig tonight, some other crap as well... So My pissy mood transferred into extreme sarcasm, witch was taking as me being a dickhead...

I apologize to you my sir, (no sarcasm at all)... Even though you took a couple of jabs at me in your replies... I understand, and am willing to look away at this ugliness and shake hands...

Alex

ps. It is not people skills I lack, it is the ability to translate my unordinary personality onto the internet... I am not a very "net-social" kind of guy...

9. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Geez. I thought it was all in fun. I confess to a bit of a jab in a couple too. Sorry. So who are you?

10. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Alex S. Pearson:

Bass player, teacher, and abuser...
    Talkbass devotee..
    Canadian...
    I also run a pedal company called SaS...
    I like long walks on the beach, and Sonny and Cher...

glad to make your aquantance, I have been a fan of your posts for quite some time...

Alex

ps. I also like joking about long walks on the beach while listning to Sonny and Cher...

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Okay children... cool it and we'll be fine :p

Now let's get along ;)

12. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    :confused: I thought we where getting along, aready tings guna be jus irea... Me and Mungy where just screwing with one another...

Alex :cool:

13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Notice the smileys? Gees :p

14. I reeeeeally appreciate when someone tells me WHY they don't like a certain product,... it helps me learn and to be more aware, so thankyou.

I bought a Boss tuner pedal recently and love it on stage for quick bass changes and silent tune ups. To get the best possible sound should I not have this in the direct signal path?

Thanks

15. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    A major flame war having been averted, I'd say if you can't hear it, the audience can't hear it. It might make a difference in a recording situation. At rehearsals, I run through the TU-2. At gigs, there's a DTR-1 in the tuner output.

16. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Actualy for the cash the TU-2 is a damn good tuner..

Alex

17. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    No offense intended, but if you *really* knew effects you'd know that the likely reason there is *any* 'bleedthrough' with Boss effects is that the FET-switching isn't operating correctly (i.e. one of the FETs isn't switching all the way off). And, stating that 'all' boss modulation effects have bad bleed-through is just simply not true. If the hundred ohms of the 'bypass' mode of the FET switching bothers you, it's always possible to use a true-bypass box or run a buffer at the start of your signal chain.

Mike

18. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I do run a loooper for all my non true bypass effects... The only pedals I have that are fet switched are effects that I have never found a more high quality equivilant... SB-7, DOD FX25, Boss OC-2, ect...

And I am sorry but you are incorect, most boss chorus pedals have bleed through new out of the box - put a high gain overdrive after it and you will see... I have owned CEB-3, CE-2B, CE-2, CE-3, and I have played through a CE-1 all had horable bleed through / clock noise... Any effects maniac will tell you so, I thought it was comon knowlage... I also can hear a faint bleed through on my PH-3 (not to mention this one really does suck your tone in bypass... damn digital phasing...) , I have heard this about their other phasers as well, especialy the jet phaser...

I am not trying to get a fire going, but I guess we see it from two diferent sides of the fence... I really do not want to start a fight here....

Alex

19. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    I'm not 'starting a fight', merely pointing out the inaccuracies and inconsistencies of your statements - another case in point being that you've picked out the PH3 as seemingly having 'more' tone suckage in bypass than other Boss pedals, and yet this pedal has *exactly* the same bypass circuit as other Boss pedals, so therefore would have exactly the same amount of effect on your tone; worse, you seem to imply that the nature of the phasing (digital) has something to do with the quality of the bypass. Your statements just simply don't match up with my own experience, nor the experience of my customers and / or friends - to me, it just sounds like the singling out of Boss for criticism that comes more from an unreasonable bias than anything else. I guess it is possible that different experience, however, has led us to different positions such as we have now. :meh:

Mike