Boss BR-864

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by paniak17, Jan 28, 2005.

1. this might sound like a stupid question, but i heard with the fostex mr-8, when you make a mistake and overdub it, you lose track minutes, is it the same for the boss br-864? and will i be able to transfer my songs to the computer, so that i "really" only need one card(i know ill be doing alot of transfering tho*sigh*)
  2. waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    On the Br-8, you can optimize your recording to get back the time that you overdubbed over.
  3. waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    Optimizing reverts to the last thing recorded on each track. You can re-use the recording time of what you overdubbed over. The Br-8 is the older version that uses zip disks and has less effects and drum sounds.

The Tascam has actual knobs for each track (pan, eq, etc), where the Boss recorders use screens to access each individual knob on each track. I have not used the 864 or the Tascam, but I have seen info on them.
  4. anyone else have any opinioins, or used either of these units(im leaning torwards the boss right now.) i think im gonna get a "factory/warehouse resealed" off of zzounds, are these worth the $50 lower price?
  5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I own a BR864.

If you want to transfer basic tracks for remixing on a PC, look elsewhere. The transfer over USB is designed for transferring final stereo mixes. It takes a long time to do it track by track (you can not do all tracks at once) because the conversion into WAV is done on the 864 itself and takes about as long as it does to play the track (the actual time to transfer over the USB connection is short by comparison).

So for a 4 minute song if you use all 8 tracks it will take over half an hour to transfer all 8 because it has to do 8 WAV conversions.

My feeling is if you plan to mix on a PC, then just record on the PC. I mix and master on the 864 so I only do a single transfer, that works great for me.

As far as your other question factory resealed is better than dealer resealed because the former means that the unit was fully checked out before being reboxed, but both are good ways to save some money as long as you get the full factory warranty.
  6. well i want to mix/master on the BR864, not the pc.

Also, once i mixdown, i have a compact flash card port on my computer that i just recently purchased, so instead of the usb connecting thing, i can just put it in there and it will download faster/more efficient, right?

And finally, do you like it, was it worth the money(this is a huge buy for me, i want to be sure i absoulutely need it before i get it, and im dieing for it right now)
  7. lowendgod

Feb 25, 2004
    Yakima, WA.

i would say the link you posted would be a lot better than the boss br-864 because it has a 40gig hard drive built in, no compact flash to worry about...

8. fallon

Jul 6, 2003
    I've just bought the Tascam 2488 and see no need to use a computer to fulfill any tasks.This machine is awesome yet simple to operate,and basic functions/recording techniques are via pushing buttons rather than using a screen and firing through menu after menu.

9. umm thats WAY out of my price range....$1,200, yeah right, i wish...
  10. im leaning torwards the boss because of the aditional stuff that the tascam doesnt have (drum machine, effects, 64 virtual tracks) plus i have a compact flash card outlet thingy on my computer, so i gotsta use it!