1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Boss Ds-1 distortion

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by huckingfuskie, Sep 12, 2008.

1. huckingfuskie

huckingfuskie

Aug 4, 2008
    would you guys say this is a goood distortion pedal for bass? i can pick one up dirt cheap, just wondering about quality.

2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    The DS-1 isnt bad as far as bass distortion goes. I tried one out when i was looking for a new distortion unit to replace my cheap one that crapped out on me. The DS-1 was nice, but I wanted a more subtle overdrive type of distortion, ended up getting a Nobel ODR-1 natural overdrive, i love that thing!:hyper:

3. Get the El Grande Bass Fuzz

4. Lefty Geek

Lefty Geek

Feb 13, 2006
    NYC
    I hate the DS-1 on guitars, can't imagine it on a bass. You will probably be lost in the mix no matter what settings you have.

The cost new is dirt cheap, how much do they go for used?

5. Flintlock

Flintlock

Jul 3, 2007
    Southampton
    Can you give it a try before you get it? Always the best way.

6. T-bolt

T-bolt

Mar 29, 2006
    Vancouver, BC
    I used to use a DS-2 in DS-1 mode before. Sounded cool on its own, but with a band playing meant you'd disappear easily in the mix since it cuts lows.

7. They are easily modified for bass. Change some input/output caps, clipping diodes, and a resistor for more (or less) gain and you're all set. Keep the tone control in the first 1/3 of the knob to keep mids so you won't get lost. It works even better as a boost as it has a lot of volume- you can roll off the dist and crank the level and really hit a tube amp hard. I've been using one for years.

Everything you need to know about modding them, including schematics, can be found @ diystompboxes.com in the forum (do a search)

For a $40 pedal with some mods it's a great addition.

Modifying the DS-1 for better bass was covered here:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=461804

8. huckingfuskie

huckingfuskie

Aug 4, 2008
    well i tried it and liked it so i bought it for a mere 20 bucks in perfect condition. But when i got home i started to have problems with it. First of all, unless the volume knob on my bass is turned all the up, i wont get any distortion at all. It really has to be full blast, which is prety dramatic since just using the pedal enhances the volume alot. If my volume knob is anywhere except full blast i just get a louder, brighter tone than i would without the pedal. but full blast, i get distortion. im confused. ?_?

9. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Try playing thru a Digitech Grunge. Very cool for bass IMHO-and inexpensive too.