Boss Oc-2 Octave demo aswell as comparing it to the Oc-3 and Cog T70

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Andy westwood, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Andy westwood

Andy westwood

Nov 30, 2014
    PedalBoard Solutions
    So i guess alot of you will know the Oc-2 but recently got one and it seemed silly not to do a little demo, and as i also have the Oc-3 and a Cog Effects T70 also seemed silly not to do a little compare of the classic octave down sound on all three!

for me i like all three however the T70 really does get close to the Oc-2 vibe and in the room they all sounded really nice!

what do you think!?

smittybass33 likes this.
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Surprised this thread hasn't gotten any traction. Was surprised how close the OC-2 and 3 sounded on here. I've heard other demos where they don't sound close at all. The T70 is close but it sounds a little bigger on the bottom. Can that be controlled?

Andy westwood likes this.
  3. Yes that's the impression i've had about them, both very close. I have the oc-3 and a cog and i find both very useful.

4. I still find the classic OC 2 very hard to beat.

5. Grumry

Grumry

Jul 6, 2016
    Nashville
    I hate my OC3 most of the time.

6. azfatboy

azfatboy

May 11, 2016
    great video comparison. Any plans for a demo of the T70 doing +1 octave? Pretty please??? :D

7. seang15

seang15

Aug 28, 2008
    Cary NC
    Never had one, but I recall reading about someone who turned off all the octave functionality, and just used the gain, which he loved.

8. Andy westwood

Andy westwood

Nov 30, 2014
    PedalBoard Solutions
    I was aswell there's a little hint of a difference but much closer than I thought.

You could try and turn the octave down on the T70 or tweak the filter a bit but that's it

JimmyM likes this.
  9. Andy westwood

Andy westwood

Nov 30, 2014
    PedalBoard Solutions
    Thanks man there is a full video of the T70 on my channel ;-)

10. Grumry

Grumry

Jul 6, 2016
    Nashville
    I'll give it a try

seang15 likes this.
  11. Don't suppose you have a Digitech bass synth way lying around you could do the same test on? I genuinely find it's octaver the best I've tried, and I've owned an oc2 and oc3 (amongst others) in the past.

Great demo!

12. Andy westwood

Andy westwood

Nov 30, 2014
    PedalBoard Solutions
    Thanks mate I dnt! Sadly

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I do, and while I like it for certain things, I definitely don't like it for octave as much as I do the OC-2. There's just something about the OC-2 that cranks my engine.

Tourniquet Man and Andy westwood like this.
  14. azfatboy

azfatboy

May 11, 2016
    What settings do you guys use on your Bass Synth Wah to get a pure suboctave? I can easily get a sub-octave outta my OC-3, but I just can't seem to get as clean of a sound from the BSW .

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Ya, that reminds me...I don't recall being able to separate the suboctave from the clean or synth sound, either.

16. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    I'm an OC-2 tone fan, and IMO I get a very close tone to OC-2 with my Madbean Lowrider (Pearl OC-07 clone) but better tracking than the particular OC-2 I owned. Plus, an awesome fuzzy octave up.

I definitely hear a difference between OC-3 and OC-2 here, but I'm using a nice pair of headphones.

17. Andy westwood

Andy westwood

Nov 30, 2014
    PedalBoard Solutions
    I think that's where it shows up, as I got them sounding the same in the room but close mic'd is where the difference shows

Oc3 still sounds good tho

mouthmw likes this.

18. It's setting #7. Knob 3 set to zero, knob 1 does nothing and knob #2 turns up octave down (or it might be mix blend with dry signal now I think of it).

Clearly it's not got many parameters so wont suit everyone but I've used it for years as my main octaver. Granted, alot of that time I ran the other output to an ls2 so i had a dry signal all the time.

19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Thx! I'll try that when I get set up on my gig. It's on my board, but I'm only using it as an envelope filter.