Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bossa Bass help

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by furiously funky, Feb 29, 2004.

1. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    Okay,
    would someone please let me know what the proper technique is, and how to properly construct a bossa bass line?
    are there different types? where would be a good place to start?
    thanks
    -marty

2. rob_d

rob_d

Jun 14, 2001
    The most basic bossa rhythm is a dotted quarter followed by an eighth, repeat. Usually it's a root on the dotted quarter and a 5th on the 8th note for the first two beats and then a 5th on the dotted quarter for the 3+4 and back to the root on the and of 4...rinse and repeat. It's pretty hard to explain in words. That is the most generic bossa beat and the starting point from where it expands. If you do only that your lines will get boring fast, but as I said that's the starting point.

The best way to really learn is to copy from records. You can check out the Jobim stuff and the Stan Getz bossa stuff for a start. There are some good compilations of bossa from brasil out there too. Listening and emulating what you hear will be the best way to really get the style down.

3. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    is there anything more advanced to consider for a bossa line? or is that it? i was familiar with that, is there anything else to work on in the way of the bossa?
    thanks for the answer :)
    -marty

4. rob_d

rob_d

Jun 14, 2001
    All the answers are in the recordings. It's hard to explain it in words. Sure, there are many, many subtelties you can pick up within the style. The root, 5/dotted quarter,8th note thing is the ground level. You can have many leading tones into other notes as well as rhythmic variations, all depending on the chord progression and what else is going on in the music. Listen, emulate, and play. That's the best way to learn as much about a style as possible. It's very hard to break down a style of music into a few paragraphs.

5. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Listening is good advice, but try to listen the brazilian players and if you want to get really deep and get the feeling inside of you, dance the Bossa Nova.

6. Baloo

Baloo

Mar 1, 2004
    San Luis,Az
    what chords, scales or modes are basics?

thanks for help, its my first day on this community, i hope to feel confortable, thank you

7. hey dude... if you need any anything like info on brazilian players please mail me and i'll be glad to help you out.