Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bottesini concerto no 2 b minor fingering?

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by shwashwa, Jan 18, 2005.

1. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    i play it in A minor with orchestral tuning so that the fingerings and harmonics line up without me having to change strings. anway, my question is where do you all play that first note of the first phrase, and how do you finger the rest of that phrase? ( for my key it would be an E, i also have a solo tuning edition, but it's also notated as an E so that you can still think in the "normal" positions of the bass but it would sound as an F# if in solo tuning) anway i play the phrase starting in thumb position starting on the d string... but the shifts kind of come in weird places for me with regard to the contour of the phrase....

2. Comrade Lewis

Comrade Lewis Guest

Jun 20, 2004
    Athens, Ga
    In my little experience of playing Bottesini i have found that mainly using the G string usually corresponds with the phrasing. I have been playing Bottesini Elegy and i have just started Capriccio Alegretto and i have found that i almost completely use the g string except when it is obvious not to do so ( Fourths across strings, harmonics, and arpeggios). So other than that id practice my butt off and do it on the G. If its good enough for Edgar, its good enough for me.

3. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    thanks for the advice, but what do you mean if it's good enough for edgar it's good enough for me? i thought edgar what an "across the strings" kind of guy, not play up the g string...but i'm sure you're right about bottesini considering he played with 3 strings and they were gut and probably kind of high compared to today's strings...

4. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    Across the strings? You bet. But he's a nifty shifter too.

5. Comrade Lewis

Comrade Lewis Guest

Jun 20, 2004
    Athens, Ga
    My bad guys, for some reason i though Edgar Meyer played it all on the g strings, or at least it sounds like that on his recording. Maybe hes just good enough that i cant tell?