1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bottesini Gran Duo Conertante

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Riss, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Riss

Riss

Mar 9, 2019
    Hi,
    So I am a clarinet player and am wondering if there actually is a version of Bottesini's Gran Duo Concertante for clarinet and double bass instead of violin and double bass. I don't mean Duetto, which is also named Gran Duo in some versions, I mean the actual transcription of violin voice. Has anyone heard/seen/played that? Thank you in advance!

2. Egregious Bass

Egregious Bass

Aug 26, 2018
    So you're NOT interested in the piece originally for clarinet, double bass and strings (or piano), but you're wondering if anybody arranged the popular Gran Duo Concertante for from violin to clarinet? BTW, Bottesini wrote it for two double basses originally; it was the violinist Camillo Sivori who arranged one of the solo parts for violin.

As to whether a clarinet version exists, I imagine not; there's no particular reason why anybody would've made such an arrangement already. It would be a tall order too; there's a lot of highly idiomatic violin writing that isn't playable on clarinet and all of that would have to be reimagined.

groooooove and MattZilla like this.
  3. Riss

Riss

Mar 9, 2019
    I'm not asking about the duo for clarinet and double bass because I know it exists and have the score.
    I was asking for the violin transcription because in many places on the internet you can find something like "Gran Duo Concertante for Violin (or clarinet), Double Bass and Orchestra" probably due to attaching the title "Gran Duo" or even "Gran Duo Concertante" (Wikipedia Bottesini's List of Works) to "Duo for Clarinet, Double bass and piano".

4. Egregious Bass

Egregious Bass

Aug 26, 2018
    Interesting... it could be that whoever made an entry in whatever catalogue those websites pull from, thought that the clarinet duo and the Gran Duo Concertante were different arrangements of the same piece.

I found this:
    Bottesini, Giovanni - Gran Duo in A major - clarinet, double bass and orchestra (piano)

Either your boy Rudolph arranged the Gran Duo Concertante for clarinet, or arranged the clarinet duo for full orchestral accompaniment instead of the original strings.

5. Riss

Riss

Mar 9, 2019
    Thanks! I have exactly the thing you linked but maybe you're right and these are actually only differences in the orchestration.