bottom end

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stumpy6653, Sep 19, 2004.

1. Stumpy6653

Sep 12, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    Hello all,

I am looking to get feedback on a question that I have.

I am currently playing a Yamaha TRB5 (first edition) through an Eden Metro.

What should I add to my setup to get more bottom end out? The low B doesn't sound like a fart or anything, but I would like it to be more in the face.

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    if you're happy of the overall tone of the metro i'd suggest a 210xlt - you'll notice a big increase in low end. just make sure the cabinet you get is the same ohms as the cabinet in the metro.
  3. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    The 210XLT is a great cabinet with a lot of low end for a 210, but I think you may be looking for a larger speaker if you want to be felt. Pairing your 210 with a classic 15" or even 18" speaker can have some booty shakin results. Audition your cab withs a variety of different speaker sizes, makes, and models -- see which one suits your sound the best. This is the best kind of trial, because finding one that matches up just right is kinda magical. See what you can get your hands on-
  4. Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    I'd say if you really want the booty from the low B and want to stick with Eden, try adding on a 210 XST. The XST series is really the prime of what Eden has to offer.

Food for thought
  5. why the same ohm load?
  6. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Many non-tube amps are rated for a minimum impedance of 4 ohms, and you can't run a lower impedance. If you have two 8 ohm cabinets connected to the same head you are effectively running a 4 ohm load, because that's how speaker impedance (ohms) works.

Running a 4 ohm cab and an 8 ohm cab together, for example, would create a 2.66ohm load and would likely damage an amp rated for a minimum of 4 ohms. Essentially, when in doubt, stick to 8 ohm cabinets because they will ultimately be the most compatible with different combinations of speakers and amps.
  7. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Well if your stuck with eden, I'd suggest getting the 212 cab they have.

I actually thought about getting 2 of those, but have found better deals on other cabs and such.

Just my 0.02$

8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    that way they'll match. IIRC, the metro is only stable to 4 ohms, and the internal "cab" is 8 ohms. that means you can only use another 8 ohm cab with it (total impedance will be 4 ohms)
  9. ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    i have the 4x10 eden, it's a load to say the least.

10. Do you know that the Metro is only stable down to 4ohms? The company states that it is good down to 2ohms.

I am looking to bring out the 31.5 hz of the .130 b-string
  11. Do you play on the 5string bass?
  12. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Before you do any of that get your hands on a Yamaha NE-1. It's the Nathan East box and can be found for very little money. A friend of mine has one and his bass sounds HUGE through a GK400rbIII and a little SWR workingman's 110 cab, no joke. I'm shocked every time I hear it.
  13. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    If you want punchy, "in your face" low end you don't want a heavy emphasis on the fundemental this low. You want to emphasize the second harmonic, which is 1 octave above the fundemental, or right about 62hz.

A strong low B fundemental is nearly impossible to acheive and still have punch.
  14. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    All Metro combos have always been 2ohm safe...

Go to the eden-electronics website forum for best match up of cabs.

I used an 8 ohm 210xlt and it was huge, but you could use a 4ohm 410xlt and have a monster 600 watt rig
    Good luck
  15. You are saying that a cab that is rated about 40 hz should be fine to get a punchy low B string? Also, another person said to me that the cab can not be elevated from the floor. That it needs to be connected to get it to push out the bottom end. Do you agree? :hyper: