Bought a bass and need to ID its strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Bruiser Stone, Sep 10, 2020.

1. Bruiser Stone

Bruiser Stone Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Dayton, Tennessee
    I bought a Jazz bass, and the strings that were on it have gold-red-black-green ball ends for EADG, no silks, just tapered ends, and if they are rounds, they are the smoothest rounds I’ve ever played. They feel like a light gauge, .100 at most for the E.

Going by the ball end colors, I’m guessing D’Addario. They aren’t as smooth as La Bellas, but they sound more like flats than they do rounds. Without silks and given their flexibility, I can’t really put them in the flats category entirely. Do I have D’Addario’s half rounds?

I don’t care for them on the Jazz, but they sound more than decent on my P bass. Not sure if they are a lock for me yet, but it would be nice to ID them in case I sell them.

2. Based on those ball end colors, D'Addario for sure.

As to what type, close-up pics of the strings would help. They could be well-worn-in XL Nickels, or possibly half-rounds as you say.

3. gigetto

gigetto

Sep 25, 2019
    Italy
    Prosteel? Because are softer than Nickel but not so smooth...less than Roto 66 but more than Nickel.

Bruiser Stone likes this.
  4. Bruiser Stone

Dec 7, 2017
    Dayton, Tennessee
    A couple at the bridge and the nut. When I first played them, I thought Elixir because they were so smooth I figured they were coated (I’ve never played Elixirs, so maybe I’m mistaken). For comparison, they are much smoother than Hi Beams/Sunbeams, and similar to the texture and tactile feel of TI Jazz flats, but stiffer.
    49658BCD-76FE-4EF0-89D1-96E503433E33.jpeg C4E784BB-30F6-42CC-AB64-E4DA4740AF28.jpeg

5. They do look like half-rounds to me.

6. Bruiser Stone

Dec 7, 2017
    Dayton, Tennessee
    Thanks. It’s hard to imagine any rounds being this smooth. The reviews for these seem pretty meh, but to my ears, they aren’t half bad.

7. Vinny_G

Vinny_G

Dec 1, 2011
    Neustria
    D'Addario ENR Half Round strings have excellent ratings on every site I've seen.

8. Bruiser Stone

Dec 7, 2017
    Dayton, Tennessee
    I’ve read a few that describe them as an uninspiring compromise betwixt rounds and flats. I suppose the negative perspectives always stand out from the positive ones...or maybe I’m just inclined toward pessimism this week.

But with my two cents in hand, I happen to like them on my P bass.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    eriky4003 likes this.
  9. Cutter8

Cutter8 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Georgia
    They certainly look like D'Addario Half Rounds to me, which are not a string you should judge from experience with just one bass. I have had basses that love 'em and basses that hate 'em. I didn't like them at first, but it turned out the issue was that those strings just didn't happen to play nice with the first bass I tried them on. Tried them on another bass and thought the were great. Have had them on a number of basses since then and they were great on some and terrible on others, without much middle ground.

petch, Bruiser Stone and michael_t like this.
  10. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Certainly Dads by the ball colors. Sounds like halfs. Nice strings.

11. Bruiser Stone

Dec 7, 2017
    Dayton, Tennessee
    I rather like them. Even if they don’t stay on the Precision, I’ve got a kit-Ric project long overdue for completion, and I imagine these sounding nice on it.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    Cutter8 likes this.
  12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Back in the 70's I hated Half Rounds because I was all about rounds. Tried them again a few years ago on a lark, and they weren't as bad as I remembered. Not my favorites for sure, but they're better than I thought they'd be.

13. Bruiser Stone

Dec 7, 2017
    Dayton, Tennessee
    They sound better than they feel. Kind of a weird tackiness under the fingers. I still think the faux Ric could be a good match, but I dunno.

JimmyM likes this.
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Agreed.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 28, 2022