BR-1600 Mastering question/s.

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by TribalisticBass, Aug 23, 2005.

1. My band and I have been using the boss BR-1600, to record our project CD. The sound when recorded is good and playback sounds good to, the problem is when we burn to CD, it loses alot of flavor/tone. This is post-mastering we don't have the instruction book anymore, so any advice is useful. When we master is it supposed to be just one step, I personally thought it would be an in-depth project. The owner of the machine/producer/not a real producer more owner of the machine, says it's just a one step process. I think this machine is more than he realizes. Am I wrong? I've heardd othr people use this recorder and it didn't sound lack of luster to me. They also, weren't recording with this guy though. Can any one help me clue this guy in on how to use his recorder?
  2. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I don't have the answer to your question but I am very close to purchasing the BR-1600 and know that the manual can be downloaded online from the Boss/Roland website (I downloaded it this past weekend). Boss/Roland will ask for your e-mail address and send you the link to the pdf.
  3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Hi, I own the BR-864 which is similar but simpler.

Mastering indeed is one step if you use the factory presets. You can also tweak the presets but for beginners and non-critical appliications the factory ones work well.

The way the 864 masters is this:

1. Prepare your final stereo mix on any pair of V-tracks

2. Go into master mode (on 864 it's a button that selects record/bounce/master, 1600 may be different).

3. Pick a mastering preset to use

4. Choose the final mix V-tracks as the source tracks, select destination V-tracks to use

5. SET LEVELS!!!!! This is bouncing, you can adjust the overall level during mastering. I set them as hot as possible since most of the mastering presets do multiband compression and limiting

6. Hit record and let the song play

7. DONE

Now that you have the final mix and the master on separate V-tracks you can listen to both and see how they sound. The master should sound DIFFERENT but not necessarily better! If it doesn't sound better:

1. pick a different mastering preset and try again

2. skip the mastering and use your final mix

The CDs I burn (on my Mac, the 864 has no built in burner) from the mastered tracks on my 864 sound just like what I hear coming out of the 864.
  4. thiat is the same process that we have been using, but every ttime we burn it to CD it loses the quality we have on the machine. I don't get it.