Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Brass Players

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Tym2cu_bass, Mar 13, 2004.

1. Trombone

6 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Trumpet

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  3. Tuba

7 vote(s)
    38.9%
  4. French Horn

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Saprano Sax

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Alto Sax

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Tenor Sax

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  8. Bari Sax

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Clarinet

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Flute

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Brass? I recycled some the other day...

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  12. Instrument not listed... dumb poll.

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  1. Hi all, how many people here play brass/ woodwind? My first instrument is the trombone (I wish I was as good on the bass as I am t-bone)...

:hyper:

2. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Tuba all the way!!! It is my main instrument. I plan on being a professional tubist one day. I am going to Ithaca College (I was accepted :D) in NY to study music education, with tuba concentration. I've been in all county (4 years in a row), all state (this past year), and the local youth orchestra and wind ensemble (this past year, principle player for both).

3. gratz, gratz, gratz, gratz

oh, and good luck

4. Trombone was my first instrument. I played for four years, then dropped it. I have recently taken it up again but I am pretty bad.

5. darkspec

darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    Started Playing the Trombone bout 3 months after I go tmy first bass. I wish it was as easy to hit the high notes on my trombone as it is on bass, but oh well......guess I just need practice. Anyone got some tips on hitting notes over the High-C, like D, and E? anyone?

6. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    To hit those high notes, there are a few tricks, but it is mainly practice.

1. don't choke out the air, be sure to use LOTS of it
    2. use more top lip in the mouthpiece and breathe down over your bottom lip, more than straight out
    3. use lots of abdominal/diaphragmal support
    4. relax, you don't need to turn coal into a diamond between your lips
    5. don't mash the mouthpiece into your face, just place them gently on your lips, your lips need to vibrate freely to make the high notes

Like you said though, it is practice more than anything. These tips will not help you unless you put them to practice.

7. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    trumpet is my main axe

8. KidNamedFord

KidNamedFord

Aug 17, 2003
    MI
    why cant i select more than one instruments? im i play more than one brass instrument

9. odie

odie Supporting Member

Tym2cu_bass

Offtopic is for non music related topics. Please post accordingly.

10. Hofbrauhaus

Hofbrauhaus

Feb 10, 2002
    Upton, MA
    Tenor sax player over here!!! :D

11. Im personally very offended you didn't include euphonium or baritone horn on that poll. :) Anway, I played trumpet through middle school and first year of highschool, then euphonium and trombone for the rest of highschool, but haven't touched a brass instrument since. I miss it to be honest, as playing a brass instrument is so much fun, especially euphonium.

12. KidNamedFord

KidNamedFord

Aug 17, 2003
    MI
    i started out on euphonium, then i moved to baritone (bass clef, of course), and then i reached the almighty TUBA, and now i play trombone every once in a while, but not at school

13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Can't answer. Should be a multi select box, but I play SATB saxes, clarinet, harmonica and flute coming soon. But primarilly a tenor player other than bass.