Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bravewood guitars?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by spc, Nov 13, 2004.

1. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    http://www.bravewoodguitars.co.uk/

Has anyone checked these out? Aside from whether or not it's cheesy to play a new "relic", I'm wondering about these j basses in particular, their feel and sound, how this company is to work with (one man operation). Thanks!

2. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Looks cool.
    I feel some GAS coming on?

3. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    Gas is nothing new for a bassist ;) :) ;)

4. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    Anyone?

5. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    up!

6. vintager

vintager

Jan 29, 2005
    Slovakia
    if i had to ask someone to build a bass for me, it would be John from Bravewood. for sure

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    He seems to be very thorough in the work he does.

I like his no deadline policy, as you can't rush beating the hell out of a bass :)

I may have him do me a Jaco relic, his black fretted Jazz with the logo sanded off. He could probably do that very accurately.

8. Do you think he'd do a 70's style bass? I'd really dig a 70's style J bass, sunburst with tort guard, rosewood FB with pearloid block inlays, and a bridge cover (no pickup cover somply for playability reasons). What would the cost of a custom bass from him be?

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yeah, he's built more modern looking basses than that.

His prices IIRC start at about 1100GBP, so you're looking at about $2000 minimum.

10. Hmmmm. Nash Guitars is doing similar things at only around 1,400...:eyebrow:

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Except they don't take custom orders, not to mention the necks are aftermarket. He just does the assembly and finishing.

12. Can't you place custom orders through dealers?

13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yeah, you can. I'm pretty sure.

14. Well I've got a Nash dealer pretty close. Brain Barrett at The Low End deals them. I've got no chance of getting a Nash or a Bravewood in the near future (maybe a few more years...), but I'll keep an eye on both until then...

15. well. i believe he does say "no new orders at this time"

16. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Not sure where you reside, but in the FAQ section he states that he will no longer ship to the US due to shipping insurance problems.

17. I guess that means I'll be turning to Nash Guitars.. :p

18. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA

Yeah, I was a bit bummed when I read that. His relics look amazing, IMO better than the Nash guitars.

19. I agree, Bravewoods do look better, but seeing as how I've got a dealer 45 minutes away, and they are about 600$ cheaper, Nash was probably going to win in the first place...