Brian Bromberg Recordings

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Funky-Wunky, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Funky-Wunky

Jun 15, 2004
    What are your favorite recordings of Brian. I have the Jaco CD and wanted to get some more.
  2. 'Wood' is a very nice cd where he plays acoustic bass only in a trio setting with his brother David on drums and Randy Waldman on piano. He also plays several solo pieces that are quite amazing. I have some of his other recordings but they are mostly happy 'smooth' jazz kinda stuff.
  3. i wasn't a fan of the jaco cd, but i am really impressed with wood, especially his version of come together...i really liked that...
  4. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Wood, Kicks butt, the rest is just recycled Kenny G and has the emotion of the Air Supply Reunion tour!
  5. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Check out Basses Loaded.
  6. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    Good listening
  7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    If you want to hear some aggressive playing from Brian, check out his new C.D. Metal....definitely not happy-jazz :bassist:
  8. lopsy_lu

Feb 15, 2005
    Scotland, UK.
    Of Brian Bromberg, I've only seen the NAMM video on
    and to be honest, it made me sick. What I'm wondering is if all his stuff is similar to that ( over the top, flash etc ), or is it more subdued and listenable?
  9. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Except for his Metal, Jaco & acoustic C.D.'s, most of Brian's output in recent years has been "smooth-jazz". ;)
  10. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I have Basses Loaded, Magic Rain, & Bassically Speaking. Caramba...those are from the late '80s.
    Anyway, IIRC, none of those impressed me as 'happy jazz'; honestly, though, it's been 10 years or more since they were last played on my hi-fi. I do recall some 'nasty' panned bass or whatever he called it.

I know BB kinda went in the 'happy jazz'/Pop direction...same, too, for Gerald Veasley. I didn't buy any of 'em.

BB's URB gigs as sideman with guys like Gonzalo Rubalacaba were happenin'.
  11. Daniel L.

Daniel L. Guest

Aug 30, 2002
    Brian did two albums with drummer Akira Jimbo and pianist Otmaro Ruiz that are very good. Brian plays double bass exclusively on these recordings.

The recordings are imports so they are expensive. However, I feel they are worth the cost. Take a listen and decide for yourself.

Brombo! 2
  12. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I've just noticed that a few Bromberg albums have come up on - when my download limit refreshes next month, I'll be checking them out.

13. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Its true, Brian has more chops than pork, but he's also one
    of the best bass "Sidemen" in the country. We are all looking
    for our artistic outlet as well as making a living. Brian's work
    with Arturo Sanduval, or Dave Grusin, or Stan Getz, or Toots
    Thielman's Brazil project, or the Fabulous Baker Boys
    soundtrack, shouldn't make you sick. Bromberg is one of the
    few real bass "monsters", who can walk in and be a stellar
    sideman. There are not many bass "monsters" who can hang
    up their ego at the door. Do a search of his credits. I think
    the only thing that will make you sick is the huge number of
    respected players who love working with him.