Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Brian Bromberg

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Spanky, Aug 14, 2004.

1. Anyone else a fan of this guy? He's mainly an upright player, with out of this world chops! His most recent work a tribute album simply titled, "Jaco". And he pulls off everysong (using the upright) without a hitch and truly does them justice. I first took a shine to him when I heard a cut off of what I believe was his debut CD, a song called "Hero". Totally jumping bass line with some of the most awesome double bass riffing I had ever heard.

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I wouldn't say he's mainly an upright player. Both acoustic and electric get equal playtime. I have several of his cd's and there is more electric bass on them. He does have a couple with acoustic bass only but I don't own those yet.

3. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    gotta love his version of Come Together :cool:

4. Guess I stand corrected...the Jaco stuff was mainly done on upright according to an article I read somewhere...thats what impressed me so much about that. The guys got some groovin lines though! Thanks for setting me straight, Im still a fan!

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Great player and super nice guy. We trade emails from time to time. He was Stanley Clark's bassist for a while.

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

:confused: Isn't that kind of like being "Joe Montana's Quarterback"? :confused:

7. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Actually, he played with Stan Getz. He's a great guy, and I'm proud to be able to count him as a friend.

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    When Stan plays "lead bass", he uses Brian to hold down the bottom.

9. i enjoyed wood...especially come together,
    i am not a fan of Jaco (the cd) though, i've heard Jaco play them already. :D

Charlie

10. Thonk

Thonk

Sep 14, 2003
    UK
    I think your thinking of jimmy earl not brian bromberg
    i have all of brians cd's and ive followed his music for a good few years as Bassic83 say he's played/recorded with Stan Getz (who gave him his big break)
    but ive never seen any mention of him playing or recording with stanley clark you'ed think he might have included it in his bio if it where so......

http://www.brianbromberg.net/bio.htm

Any hows id say magic rain is my fave BB album also i hear he's recording(or about to record)a heavy fusion cd any one got any info on that? Bassic83 any chance you could ask brian about this for us next time you speak with him?

11. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Actually, there's a couple clips on his site- "Carlos", a Santana inspired tune, and "The Dungeon". Ripping! They're in Real format. If you can't find them, PM me and I'll send you in the right direction.

12. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I had the chance to met him 10 years ago, during a clinic he gave in Argentina. I had no idea who the guy was (just saw his name a couple of times in Bass Player).
    So I went to check him out and he blew me away.
    He was playing with his new Peavey Signature bass. It sounded incredibly and his chops were amazing. I went to talk him later and
    found that he was humble guy. I bought two of his cd´s immediately.

I remember one of his advices when he said he improved his technique when he was young, by watching himself in the mirror when he played.
    Great experience.

13. Thonk

Thonk

Sep 14, 2003
    UK

i found them many thanx :)

you know i was about to check his news page last night after posting here but when i got a mail from Matt Garrison telling me his new cd & dvd was ready to pre-order i had to make a dash for that as there are only 1000 copies available of each project(limited edition press signed by the man himself)

i gotta say i really like the sound of the 2 review tunes from Bass Ackwards ive been wishing for brian to do something a little heavyer for a while now(his last few have been a little to radio friendly i think) The Dungeon is a great tune and has a very manring/thonk 'ist feel to it and as you say Carlos just stink's of Santana(in a good way) very cool stuff i look forward to grabbing hold of a copy(who know's if i can find the japanese import for a good price i'll just go for that)when its released

laters
    thonk

14. Yes! Im all ears! Id love to hear him on something like that!

15. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I really like Bromberg, I only have 2 albums though, wood(all acoustic solo album) and jaco(the aforementioned jaco tribute)

Well, I still listen to wood a lot, it's great, stunning chops, and straight ahead jazz, it's a good album, and it's fun to listen to him.

'Jaco' gets less play time, I like it a bunch, but it has too much of that over-produced adult contemporary very well paid studio musician vibe, that kind of doesn't fit with a lot of jaco's music. don't get me wrong, I still think that it's a worthy album, just not quite as lasting as the real deal.

16. Now that you mention it, I believe "Wood" is what gave me the impression he was mostly an upright player, but yeah, either way the guy is phenomenal!

17. clifchamb

clifchamb

Mar 7, 2003
    It is great to see this guy get some due attention! He is one of the most inspirational players to me. I have seen him and attended his clinics twice at The Lionel Hampton Jazz festival in Idaho and one clinic in Seattle.

My favorite album of his is his Self Titled one. Lots of great chops including him using the piccolo bass. You have got to check out "Sedona"--carzy dark frettless fusion.

Fav moment: At the festival clinic, he comes in and plugs his B Quad 4 (peavey) into a lame fender 15" combo amp. Man did he make it sing! He then played his upright acoustic bass, now I am not the biggest fan of acoustic bass, but his playing on it was intoxicating.

clif

18. JazzBassvb

JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003
    Brian is awesome!

I have "You know That Feeling' and I love the album.

I'm going to get Choices as soon as I can, as I love 'Choices' and 'BassFace'

Fooled Ya (from Bass Player) is one sweet tune.

My wife and I saw him in concert at a local club a year ago or so and he blew me away. He had Ric Fierabracci (Yanni) as his backup bassist and the show was great.

He is a very nice guy, took a few minutes to talk and shake my hand. I hope to see him in person again.

I just listened to The Dungeon and that is just awesome! Great tune! I like the harder rock stuff. Very nice!

JB

19. The Dungeon you say? Ill be shopping for that one! His CDs are kind of hard to come by around Denver for some reason...the stores that have a section for him usually only have a couple of titles...mainly Wood and Jaco. :(

20. JazzBassvb

JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003
    Spanky,

I'm in the Denver area too.

His older albums are pretty much only available on his website.

What stores do you go to? I usually go to Best Buy and Circuit City. One you can try is Twist and Shout on Alameda and Downing or something, but it's on Alameda, between I-25 and University.

The Dungeon and the album it's on (apparently called Fooled Ya here in the states) will be out later this year.

Hope that helps.
    JB