Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Brian Bromberg

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by BassistAngelina, Nov 27, 2004.

1. I'm not sure if this a topic concerning this amazing man as ever been posted, so here I go...

Not too many people (I know) know about Brian, but I'm hoping some of you do.
    An album of his that I own is called "It's About Time - The Acoustic Project" It's full of jazz, great improvising, and outstanding bass solos. As soon as I heard it this summer, I was in love with the music. He's really inspired me to try out new styles...

So I was just wondering, has anyone else heard him? :)

2. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    I'd think he's pretty well known around here. He's one of the only musicians that has literally made my jaw drop. Hearing him with Gonzalo Rubalcaba a few years ago hammering a walking bassline with his left hand and tapping a solo with his right on the upright bass (and being incredibly musical about it) was one of the most awe inspiring things I've ever seen/heard. (I really did have to keep remembering to close my mouth).

I'm hoping I can corner him for a lesson someday.

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I've been listening to "It's About Time" for years now. I've transcribed three tunes off of it: Waltz for Daphne, Echoes, and Billy Taylor's "One for the Woofer", which is great fun if you want a bop head that lays pretty well on the bass. I've also had a student transcribe Freddie Hubbard's solo on "Dear John" for a jazz theory class.

There are a lot of people who like to rag on Brian for what he isn't, but I don't hear too many people having much negative to say about what he actually does. I can't say I care for his electric stuff that much (just not my cuppa, although it's incredibly well done), but his acoustic stuff is, as Jeff ably put it, "jaw dropping". 'Nuff said.

4. Another acoustic cd to check out is "Wood" a piano trio recording with his brother on drums. He does several bass solos, "Come Together", "All Blues" and "The Star Spangled Banner". His tribute to "Jaco" is also well worth checking out as he plays much of it on acoustic bass. :bassist:

5. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I have 2 Brian Bromberg CD's, his self titled and Basses Loaded.He is truly an amazing Bass player, I met him at a
    Peavey clinic back in the early 90's when he was promoting
    the "B-Quad".I won the in store drawing for one of the CD's
    and had him autograph it.His playing blew me away.

6. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I'm a big fan of his technique, and he writes well in both tradjazz and smoovejazz genres. He makes the impossible look easy.

7. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    One of my favorite tunes by Brian to this day is a tune called L.A Land of the Barking Car".It's old but to me this was proably the Funkiest tunes he's ever done IMO.

8. JazzBassvb

JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003
    I first heard about Brian in a JazzTimes Review for "You Know That Feeling". Actually, my wife told me about him and she gave me the mag to look at.

When I was at the record store the next time, I found his disk and took a listen. I was blown away! Something about his creativity with the piccolo bass and the various effects he uses just caught my ear. I think the acoustic groove and solo he does on 'Hero' is some of the best, tasteful work I've ever heard. Not overly flashy, but very groovy.

I saw him live 2 or 3 years ago with Ric Fierabracci as his backing bassist and it blew my wife and I away! That show I will remember very fondly for many years. I got a quick chance to say hi and thanks for sharing his gift and he shook my hand and just chatted very briefly. Very nice guy.

Looking forward to his upcoming projects. Check out www.brianbromberg.net for some info and sound bites.

JB