Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bridge/intonation problem

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by vicenzajay, Jun 16, 2005.

1. I'm not new to setting up my basses (or playing with all the settings - to include truss rods) - just wanting some advice.

I've been gradually dialing in (or "adjusting" in) my Dean fretless, and the issue I have deals with intonation on the E string. The intonation screw just "backs out" of the bridge vice moves the saddles forward. Lucky for me the intonation is very, very close as it is right now, but I'm tempted to take the string off and manually do something about the saddles and the spring/screw.

Any advice?

Thanks,
    Jay

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    On a fretless, I would accept very very close. The intonation isn't as critical with a fretless as with a fretted bass. Don't know what you mean by your problem, but if it's not hard to fix, go ahead and do it.

3. jeffhigh

jeffhigh

May 16, 2005
    The spring just isnt strong enough to move the saddle forwards against the downwards pressure from the string. Just push the saddle forward and it will be fine. Had this happen to me too.
    Jeff