1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bridge Modification on an OLP MM2

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ThatGuyLewis, May 29, 2011.

1. ThatGuyLewis

ThatGuyLewis

Oct 29, 2009
    Hey :),

I have an OLP MM2 and I intend to change the bridge as the stock bridge is causing some buzzing that the OLP MM2 stock bridge is notorious for.

can anyone please suggest a good bridge that would be suitable for it? (sorry I am new to modifying guitars. Also, if possible I would not like to drill any holes and spend a huge amount, but all replies will be welcome)

Thanks, Lewis

(also, can anyone else suggest any extra modifications I might want to make to this bass?)

2. john grey

john grey

Apr 19, 2011
    Oracle, Arizona
    Check eBay for MM parts......they have drop in bridges. I would also contact the seller and TELL him or her that you want to replace a bridge & does his unit have a better reputation than the existing one, etc, etc, etc. - Get information prior to purchase. "EvilBay" has all sorts of parts.

3. ThatGuyLewis

ThatGuyLewis

Oct 29, 2009
    I see, thank you :), so for example if I got hold of a stock Musicman Stingray bridge, it would definetly fit? (sorry if thats a really nooby question! :()

4. john grey

john grey

Apr 19, 2011
    Oracle, Arizona
    Quite frankly I have not owned an OLP. The principal is that as an "Original Licensed Product" that the mfg has used any or all aspects of the original to make their copy. The overwhelming likelihood is that it would fit. but I suggest you always contact the mfg and ASK "does this 'drop-in'"? In the original you have a two bolt side frame and 3 wood-screw body retainer. Those all need to be measured to determine if there is any difference from original (distance between holes & depth). It's likely that it will drop-in. HOWEVER, there are short-cuts that may be problematic. Since I don't own one I can't say.
    But realistically whenever you alter something, you should play it safe and have on hand all the statistics applicable.

5. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    An MM bridge will NOT drop right onto the holes already drilled on an OLP MM2.

That said, it's not that hard to install a new bridge if you're careful.

I chose to modify the bridge on mine, drilling holes and putting rubber bumpers on posts where the metal ones are on an EBMM. It was much simpler than looking for aftermarket parts for an OLP, or fitting an MM bridge, especially since I have a fiver...there was pretty much only one bridge I could find at the time that would even come close to fitting. The string spacing on the five string OLP models is much tighter than on a five string MM.

I also added a string retainer for the G string, which was the major source of buzzing on mine. The buzzing disappeared, and I stopped worrying about the saddles flopping around on the bridge when I played.

6. ThatGuyLewis

ThatGuyLewis

Oct 29, 2009
    Oh right I see, Thank You :D. I might look into these string retainers then, or possibly consider just simply buying a MM bridge and then drilling it in. As you have said it isnt that difficult :)

7. ThatGuyLewis

ThatGuyLewis

Oct 29, 2009
    In realisation to my last post I just realised what a string retainer is, completely slipped my mind.

and you said you 'drilled holes and put rubber bumpers where the metal ones are on a EBMM' the metal what exactly? sorry if this is just me it didnt make much sense to me.