1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bridge replacement question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Gorn, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I have a mij jazz bass with that little metal strip from the bridge to the pickup. I just bought a badass 2 from the classifieds that I'm gonna swap out. How exactly is that strip connected to the bridge, and how does that affect the bridge swap?

2. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    I think you're referring to the ground wire?
    As long as the bridge comes in contact with it by laying on it, you'll be grounded.

Be prepared to get criticized for the BAII purchase. (I like the bridge myself..)

3. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Yup, the ground wire. So it's that simple? Good to know. Thanks.

4. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    OK, here comes the criticism: if the bridge intonates well, and has good sustain and tuning stability, why change? I actually went back to a vintage-style bridge on my custom P/J bass because it actually had better intonation, tone color, and sustain than many aftermarket values. Guitar Player magazine (before Bass Player was split off to a separate publication) did a "shoot-out" of all the bass bridges available at the time and came to the same conclusion.

5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Valid question. The answer is so I can find out for myself. I've been on talkbass for a while now and I've heard tha BAII is the cats pajamas and I've heard it's nothing special and your garden variety fender style bridge is just fine. Either it'll improve the sound of my bass, or it won't and it'll go back in the classifieds. These bridges seem to move quick so it's a win-win for me either way.

6. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Here's the bass in question, just cuz I like showing pictures of it.....
    image.

StyleOverShow likes this.
  7. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Love me some black 'n maple

8. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    Px are always good- 'specially that kind! Simple, but WOW!