1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bridge saddles - how far is too far?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Deemetrio, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Deemetrio

Deemetrio

Sep 24, 2017
    Just got myself a new mexican a Fender jazz bass, and when I finished adjusting the strings length with a tuner, I realised, that the last 2 saddles, especially the lower E - are positioned significantly further than the others, in fact I could feel quite a firm spring resistance, which means that I was getting close to a certain limitation point.

I’ve attached the picture - if any professionals please could have a look and tell me - does that look normal to you?

I’m just a bit concerned that if in a future I wanna put some thicker or thinner strings - there might be a problem, as the saddle would not have any more space to be moved, if you know what I mean.

I’ve heard these stories, when people couldn’t move the saddle any farther, but it’s Fender - they are normally quite good at these things, I really doubt they would installed the bridge incorrectly, but who knows - I’m quite a beginner, so I don’t really know yet if it is really far or am I just being paranoid here, so I would really appreciate a professional opinion guys. Just before you ask - the neck looks very straight and the strings heights are leveled quite well too
    Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  2. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Looks right to me. Pretty typical spacing.

96tbird, sissy kathy, Jazz Ad and 2 others like this.
  3. mech

mech In Memoriam

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    Warhawk likes this.
  4. Looks fine. The springs don’t look all that compressed either. It may have been a rough spot on the screws from whatever coating is on them to make them black. Even if they were far enough back for the springs to be an issue, you could trim the springs or remove them entirely.

Mainly, if the intonation is right, it’s right.

RSBBass, 96tbird, Bassbeater and 2 others like this.
  5. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Looks pretty textbook to me...good show! Set your witness points if you haven't already done so and make sure the saddles are level / parallel with the base plate...do not tilt!

Riis

6. Deemetrio

Deemetrio

Sep 24, 2017
    I’m not really sure what you mean by setting witness point here could you explain please?

7. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    After you string up to pitch, push down on the string just in front of the bridge saddle. It will give the string the proper angle over the bridge, which is often referred to as "witness points"

Zooberwerx and Deemetrio like this.
  8. Deemetrio

Deemetrio

Sep 24, 2017
    Ok, good to learn, thanks pal

9. Deemetrio

Deemetrio

Sep 24, 2017
    How does it work according to strings thickness though, if I for instance put a thicker string - will I have to push the saddle closer to a bridge or opposite?

10. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

you wint really know for sure until you try, but generally thicker strings will be a TINY bit further ti the tail.

Again, make sure the saddles are level with the body. If they're tilted, they can rattle. Your pic looks like they're not quite level.

11. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Ever since I started setting up my basses on my own, I haven't at all cared where the saddles are. As long as the instrument is intonated properly, then that's all that matters to me...the saddles stop wherever intonation is correct.

JLS likes this.
  12. mech

mech In Memoriam

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
  13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021