1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bright EUB strings??

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by MidnightBottle, Oct 17, 2020.

1. MidnightBottle

MidnightBottle Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2019
    Hello! I am getting ready to go into the recording studio for my alt-folk/grunge/prog rock band. A couple of the songs I have written the parts on my EUB and as such prefer to play them on it, due to left hand muscle memory and all that. But ultimately I need to cut through a mix with two busy guitarists.... neither of whom can be convinced to strum and hold a chord for a single measure in a two hour set... or to upstroke in unison with the snare, or (god forbid) not play for a section. Anytime I suggest such a thing it seems to be taken as a personal attack... but that's another story! if my other band wasn't a masterclass in musical humility I'd have killed both these guitarist by now.

Anyways.... My current strings just don't have enough bright top end to do the job. The fingerboard is purpleheart so it's pretty tough, but I still don't want to put any roundwounds on it (do such a thing even exist in 41" scale???) but some compression wounds would be pretty slick. So who's got recommendations for bright(!!!) EUB strings. 41" from nut to bridge. 6 1/2" from bridge to ball end. I'm contacting Ken Smith to see if he can make any compression wounds in this length, but would love any other ideas. Thanks!

2. What’s the brand of your EUB?

3. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Spirocores are very bright straight out of the pack. LaBella 7720 series is also very bright, and a little cheaper.

BarfanyShart likes this.
  4. MidnightBottle

Dec 26, 2019
    It's a hand built one of a kind.

Attached Files:

Jaygetsreal likes this.
  5. BarfanyShart

BarfanyShart

Sep 19, 2019
    DC Metro
    Spirocore mittels sound good on EUB. They are very bright pizz for a whole year, and they don't go dead for at least 10 after that.

It's a cool bass, love the purple heart fingerboard.

6. MidnightBottle

Dec 26, 2019
    Thanks!
    Thanks! it's a sweet instrument, great tone, the humbucker sounds niiice. Pretty sure the stage presence of it is half the reason I hired onto my first real professional band (original soul/reggae/funk/hip-hop music). The warm, dark tone kills it for that band, but the rock stuff... not so much. I'm growing out my fingernails after reading Steve Harris (Iron Maiden) grew his out to try to get a little extra bite. Another idea is to install some trebly piezo pickups and blend the signals.

Man! These strings are a lot more expensive than bass guitar strings, that's for sure. The 7720's are looking like a good option due to price constraints, maybe even the light tension ones? I'd have to check with the luthier who built it to see if light tensions would be okay.

Here's a pic of the rest of it. I'd like to get the leg replaced with one about 5 inches longer ultimately, the woman who built it (wisely) made it easily removable. QPidGOzt.jpeg

equill likes this.
  7. BarfanyShart

BarfanyShart

Sep 19, 2019
    DC Metro
    If you are using a magnetic pickup, then I think the lights/weichs are actually much better. With piezos, I think you get a lot out of the heavier, medium/mittel, string.

HateyMcAmp likes this.
  8. I suggest to first add some piezo to the instrument.
    This will add the highs you’re the missing with the mag pickup.
    You could think about strings in a later step.

Did you try playing seated?
    With my EUB, I definitely prefer to be seated.
    I use a drummer's throne.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    equill and DoubleMIDI like this.
  9. Really like your custom plank!
    Off topic but could you tell me more about your magnetic pickup (I just have piezo on mine, which with Helicore mediums are fine for brightness but lack 'attack') What radius at the end of the fingerboard does it fit? Where did you get it?