1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Broken Micro POG

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by McHaven, Sep 20, 2008.

1. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    So I went to play with my lovely Micro POG today only to find it won't power on and make sound. When I picked it up, something was rattling around. Everything looks fine to me, the piece I found rattling around is TINY. Super tiny, black plastic piece with two silver metal tabs on the ends. I have no idea what it could possibly go.
    The piece says "RS SS14" or something like that on the back. Hurts my eyes to try and read something so small.
    Shall I just send this into EHX?

2. 250GBsOfAwesome

250GBsOfAwesome

Jul 11, 2008
    I love your avvy. But I can't help with your problem. Sorry.

3. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson! Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    64 Audio · DR Strings · Source Audio · Hipshot
    I'm not an expert, but it sounds like the piece you found came off of the circuit board. If you have an electronics guru near you, he could probably solder it back on, otherwise, send it to EHX.

4. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    That's what I'm thinking. Luckily I have a pedal coming to me next week so I can just use that box and save some money. Hooray!

5. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    As someone else said, sounds like a surface mount part (diode I think) to me. If you open the pedal and take a look it might be obvious where it goes. Shouldn't be too hard to solder it back carefully, and with a steady hand.

6. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    I cannot for the life of me see where it may go. I decided I'd look for a spot labeled something similar to what was written on the piece, but can't see anything like it. I have a few ideas but I'm really not sure enough.

7. mikeboth

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    If you can post a picture of the PCB maybe we can help .... :confused::)

8. Yeah it sounds like something has come off the circuit board. Posting pictures of both the piece and the board will help a lot!

9. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Here's the gut shot

S7300170.

and here's the piece
    S7300172.

10. mikeboth

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Can't see enough detail from the board shot, perhaps one with a bit better focus would help.

Meanwhile, there's no spot on the board that has 'D' (for diode) followed by a number? It might also be double-sided, but if you can provide a more-focussed board shot that would be great.

11. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    My camera can't taken a better shot than that, without using flash. If I use flash, it washes out everything.

I've already closed up the entire thing. I'm just going to send it to EHX. I don't know anyone skilled enough to fix it anyway.

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    OK, here's one to compare. As someone said, the component may have fallen off the back of the board. Where's Waldo?

POG-guts-01.

13. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    i know nothing about electronics but by what munjibunga put up i think i know where your part goes. it goes to the right of "R1 R2" if you were to read it like reading a book or it goes just below by looking at the pics. maybe i'm just crazy....but it seems that the part is missing on mchaven's pic.

edit: to be more precise.....right by D3

14. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Found it. It's D3 over on the far right side of the board, just above the power receptacle.

15. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    DANG! You beat me by a minute. It is D3. This would be a simple repair at my house.

16. mikeboth

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Well-spotted, that extra picture helped. :)

17. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    i beat you! na na na na na na (childish voice)!!!!!!! hahahah i kid.

18. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Hoser.

19. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Awesome guys. Now I just have to find someone handy with a soldering iron.