Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Broken Nut

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Totengraber, Jul 21, 2004.

1. Well, I bought new strings for my bass, which is a Rogue 5-string (yeah, I know it's crap). While installing the strings, I saw that the B string just sat on top of the nut and did not fit into the slot. Apparently the gauge of the new strings was larger. I went ahead and left it that way and tightened the strings. To my dismay, a piece of the nut broke off. It s the side to the left of the B string. The string fits in its respective place and it doesn't come out, but I'm concerned with the nut being like it is. Is there a way to repair this? Should I take it to a shop and see if they can fix it? Any ideas how much money it might cost? If it's very expensive, I'll just go buy a new bass.

Thanks,
    Totengräber

2. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Normally only cost's about $40 or a little more to have a nut replaced. Might not be able to be done at the local Guitar Center, but Im sure most repair shops could handle it no problem.

3. Two ways to go about this:
    1) If it is a clean break and you have the piece that came off, a few drops of super glue will be the quick/cheap fix.

2) Take the bass into your local repair guy and have him put in a new nut. I prefer to use bone, and I hand cut/shape/file them myself from a blank piece.

Dave Starr: Bassist with CHASTAIN & Vicious Rumors