1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Broken Train

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by Derek DiFilippo, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Derek DiFilippo

Derek DiFilippo

Jun 9, 2005
    Hey JMJ,

Is that a Starfire on Broken Train? Amazing playing & tone, as I'm sure you already know. I tried a few searches and couldn't find the answer, apologies if this has already been touched on.

I'm looking to pick up a 3rd bass sometime in the next few months (working with precision & jazz)... looking for a short scale to open up more tones for me. I've had the Starfire on my list. The other ones I'm considering are a Rick or an EB-* Gibson.

Thanks for the 411.

Oh... and Herbie Flowers rules.

2. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

Mar 25, 2005
    Yes, Starfire indeed on that song.

EB Gibson yes, and how about a Mustang?

Best,
    JMJ

3. Dan Bozek

Dan Bozek

Aug 3, 2011
    Outside Pittsburgh, PA
    Endorsing Artist, D'addario Strings
    +1 Mustang especially if it's got racing stripes. :^) What about a Hofner? They have that new line of instruments that'll only run you around $800 if memory serves me correct. The finishes aren't quite as fancy as my reissue model, but the ones I've played at shops sound and play comparable. Something about flats on a weird short scale bass is just awesomely quirky.