1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Brooklyn Style Pizza?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Sonic_Death, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Call it ignorance on my part, but I have been seeing these commercials for Brooklyn Style Pizza lately and have no clue at all what it is. I was born and lived in Brooklyn for 7 years too, man...

Care to enlighten me? And after you do that, tell me if it is any good :)

2. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Isn't just a big ass slice? "You call that a fold? C'mon, fold it like a man!"

3. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I take it to mean NYC style pizza. And yes, it is the best pizza you can get (but not from Dominos or Papa Johns or whoever is hawking it).

4. Call it ignorance on my part once more, what the hell is a NYC style pizza? Should I feel ashamed to be a New Yorker at this point?

5. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    It's the big, round, and usually flat style pizza that got tagged with NY style pizza (as opposed to Chicago deep dish style). There's a place in my hometown in PA that perfects "NY style." However, a short two hour drive in western Maryland (where I work/live on weekdays), you can't find NY style for love or money.

6. playibanez

playibanez

Apr 3, 2006
    U.S.
    i never thought of it as a style of pizza... i always thought it was just really good pizza...(im gunna venture to say the best pizza you can get is in brooklyns also)

7. Well I have always loved pizza from the city and most places in NY, I guess they just coined their style into NY style pizza. It all makes sense now. As far as Brooklyn style pizza being just a big ass pizza, that sounds fine with me as well. The bigger the better.

8. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I wouldn't call it that big, but yeah, they're big and flat.

9. Headroom

Headroom

Apr 5, 2002
    Neapolitan-style pizza: yummmm.

Neapolitan pizza (pizza Napoletana). According to the rules proposed by the Associazione vera pizza napoletana and other sources quoted by the BBC,[7] and the legal EU document with the Vera Pizza Napoletana Specification in translation, the genuine Neapolitan pizza dough consists of Italian wheat flour (type 0 and/or 00), natural Neapolitan yeast or brewer's yeast, and water. For proper results, strong flour with high protein content (as used for bread-making rather than cakes) must be used. The dough must be kneaded by hand or with a low-speed mixer. After the rising process, the dough must be formed by hand without the help of a rolling pin or other mechanical device, and may be no more than 3 mm (1/8 in) thick. The pizza must be baked for 60–90 seconds in a 485 °C (905 °F) stone oven with an oak-wood fire. When cooked, it should be soft and fragrant. Neapolitan pizza has also gained in Italy the status of "guaranteed traditional specialty". This admits only three official variants:
    Pizza marinara: with tomato, garlic, oregano and oil;
    Pizza Margherita: tomato, sliced mozzarella, basil and oil;
    Pizza Margherita Extra: tomato, buffalo mozzarella from Campania in fillets, basil and oil.

(from Wikipedia)

10. i wonder how the new dominoes brooklyn pizza compares to pizza hut's big new yorker pizza--I really liked that :)

11. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    There are actually codified laws in Italy about the making of pizza now, the DOC laws (I forget what that stands for). L'asso in SOHO is the closest pizza I've had in america to what's actually served in Naples.

12. GREAT! Now I'm hungry!

13. Headroom

Headroom

Apr 5, 2002
    Seems as if it's regulated as much as the brewing of beer in Germany. According to friends from Naples, this pizzeria near downtown Seattle creates an authentic-tasting pie:

http://www.tuttabellapizza.com/index.php

14. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

I have had some excellent cruncy brooklyn pizzia ! :hyper:

15. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    new york style pizza is the best! thin crust... garlicky sauce... stringy cheeze... all topped with crushed hot peppers.

Since i don't go down to the city that often, I go to "I love new york pizza" in Troy, NY.... mmm, the best pizza in my area.

16. moro

moro Geek

Sep 5, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Yeah, the thing that's distinctive about NY style pizza is that it's very thin, and crunchy. The stuff that's called "pizza" everywhere else (aside from Chicago) is kind of thick and doughy.

In the Bay Area, we have a chain called Amici's that does a pretty good NY style pizza. Though apparently, the owner is from Boston. :confused:

17. Was in Brooklyn about two months ago. Best pizza outside of Boston's North End. Sadly, that's the one food I don't think we do as well in NOLA (not complaining!)

18. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Banned

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    Another thing that makes it NY style is that you can't cook it on a screen or corn meal or any of that crap. Fine semolina is the only thing that should separate the dough from a hot rock. Anything else is an abomination (except Chicago style, of course)

Pizza cooked on a screen or in an oiled pan are just mistakes foisted upon the pizza ignorant by people who don't know how to make a good dough. They use the screens etc to prevent sticking and help with even cooking, if they don't have skilled pizza-makers to handle those chores. Really good pie is an artisan's craft.

19. +1
    There's also something about the water and latitude that contributes to good dough.

20. Where is this? In State College?