1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD BSX Allegro - Better than New **

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses' started by rickwolff, Dec 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. rickwolff

rickwolff CGJ -- Endorsing Artist-- ---3M Dual Lock--- Supporting Member

Price:
    $1500
    Strings:
    I bought this last year as a backup to my carved DB.

I have just bought another carved DB which will fill that position so this is available.

** I have made two improvements which dramatically improved both the playability and sound when compared to new.

1. I had my luthier dress the fingerboard and reshape the nut. Great Improvement !!

2. I changed the 1/2 size strings it comes with to 3/4 size strings (the playing lenth is app 41 inches and the 1/2 size strings result in too much tension and a more Fretless BG type sound.

The bass, bag, and stand are all in MINT CONDITION.

I have several videos demonstrating the sound of this bass. One video I made with my Ischell Contact Mic which works because this is a hollow-body acoustic instrument. IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR AN EUB THAT SOUNDS LIKE A DB YOU PROBABLY WON'T GET CLOSER THAN THIS.

PS The ISCHEL MIC IS NOT INCLUDED. The bass has a built-in multi-sensor bridge piezo and an active 3 band EQ pre-amp.

And here is a video of my using foam to mute the strings to get a more DB type 'Thump'.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
    jmlee and Steve Boisen like this.
  2. Hans Gruber

Hans Gruber

Jun 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Is there another pickup on this bass, or is it just the contact mic?

And is it a D or Eb neck?

3. rickwolff

rickwolff CGJ -- Endorsing Artist-- ---3M Dual Lock--- Supporting Member

Sorry for the confusion.

First, it is a D Neck.

YES, there is a very effective pickup (and three-band EQ) on the bass. The Ischell Mic IN NOT INCLUDED but was posted to show one of the possibilities since this is a hollow-body acoustic intrument.

The other video (showing the foam mute) is using the built in pickup.

Here are some details on the built in piezos and pre-amp (from the BSXbass website):

The multi-sensor piezo bridge system coupled with active circuit Bartolini electronics sounds extremely realistic both pizzicato and bowed. BSX Allegro Series feature a 3 band EQ, on-board preamp, and an individual volume control for each string. Classical violin colors with satin finish is standard. Length 56”, Width 11 1/2” (lower bout) Weight approx. 15lb.

4. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    Sad to see you selling this. Quick question. Is the top arched? Is there a sound post and soundpost and bass bar?

5. Daniel Immel

Daniel Immel Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2016
    Rio de Janeiro
    Hey there Rick. Just curious if the bass is still available? Give me a shout directly at danimmelbass@gmail.com . All the best.