1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

BSX G string problem

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by davehertzberg, Aug 8, 2019.

1. I've had a BSX 5 string Allegro for a while now, but have used it rarely, and not at all in recent years. Not long after I got it I noticed a problem with the pickup on the G string. I called Dino at BSX at the time but was unable to resolve it. Now, I really want to sell it as I don't use it anymore, but I don't feel comfortable selling it given the issue. I called Dino again and he told me to look in the electronics - I do notice a wire that appears frayed, but I don't feel equipped to fix that, and I'm not even sure that's the cause of the problem.

Long story short, I'm hoping someone can guide me about how to handle this. My choices are: keep it as is; sell it to someone who can fix it at a deep discount; send it back to Dino who would fix it for free, but I'd pay shipping (which would be $250-300 there and back including packing); or, find someone else who can fix this kind of thing locally (I'm in the NYC area). BSX has a proprietary pickup system built into the bridge (as you probably know if you're reading this), so I'm not sure there is anyone else who can work with them.

The issue is that the G string sounds very nasal and thin compared to the other strings. It's definitely not the string itself as I've tried multiple G strings, and it was the same when I had it tuned with a high C for a time. When playing with a group the nasal quality wasn't as noticeable as the drop in volume, but the problem is not fixed by adjusting the volume of each string in the electronics panel. Playing a G scale, it's kind of like the bass sounds warm and upright-ish until you get to the G string, at which point it turns into a modern, active electric with the bridge pickup all the way up and the mids and treble boosted. Very weird.

I recorded an audio file to show the problem, but I wasn't able to upload it - if anyone knows how to do that please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any and all thoughts!

2. I’m not familiar with the BSX, but my guess is the G string sensor is defective or badly encased in the bridge.
    Is it possible to send the bridge only to Dino?

3. I don't think so - it's connected to the body of the bass through the electronics. I suppose I could send the body without the neck and that would save something on shipping costs, but he'd have to attach another neck to test it out and that seems complicated.

4. John Chambliss

John Chambliss Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I would send to Dino without the neck and have him fix the electronics. You’re going to have a hard time selling it as is. Repaired, you can sell for $1500 maybe. (I have a 4-string Allegro.)

5. As it happens that’s exactly what I did today, John. Thanks!