1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Buffering Preamp for Barcus Berry P'up...

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Count Bassie, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Count Bassie

Count Bassie Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Hello all,
    I've had a 3/4 Czech ply upright for a few years, but due to nerve issues have only started playing with great interest recently. I've got an old BB piezo jig I've used before with limited success through a small version of my bass guitar rig.

I think I'm looking for a proper preamp to go with, and although I know Barcus Berry makes one for my p'up, I wonder if there's a cheeper way to go that will also get me there?

I can probably dig up info on the pre and get one, but I thought I'd put the question out here just to see what comes back.

Thanks for your time...

2. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    The pre by fdeck (member here) gets rave reviews. Do a search.

3. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri

Count Bassie,
    I've actually heard bassist Ray Drummond use that pickup, and with his abilities, ears and musicality it sounds really good

The BB 3501 is actually sold as a system, so I would guess that their Pre Amp will get you the best sound from their pickup. I remember that Ray used both the pickup and pre amp together.

You could try other boxes out, but I'm thinking that their pre amp will give you the best sound from the pickup. It's input impedance is set at 2.2 Meg Ohms, and that's a little different from the standard 1 Meg Ohm amplifier impedance inputs'. You can access the users guide from the webpage I gave you.

Here are the company links for the pickup

http://barcusberry.com/product.cfm?ProductID=22

You could evidently by a "replacement" pickup without purchasing the Pre Amp.

Ric

4. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    I will check all that out, many thanks Ric!

Eric, I had the first model, used it with my SWR head for a while. Also interesting- I might have to get another one anyway...

Thanks guys.

5. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    A friend of mine here has loaned me his fishman Platinum EQ for bass, and I've run it ahead of a Yamaha BB500T H head into a Portabass 212H cab. Seems to work pretty well- certainly good enough for my lo-fi purposes. He wants $100 I think, I'll probably jump.

6. The HPFpre by Francis Deck cost you less than the fishman and has a better sound quality. Less EQ, but the very useful high pass filter to dial out the bass mud. Same input impedance. Do a web search for HPFpre. Version I or II (with battery indicator) will do the job, version III is mostly for electric bass guitar.

7. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    + It's also a neutral device that doesn't have that "baked in" EQ voicing that the Pro Platinum has, primarily because it's designed for the Full Circle's output characteristics.

Ric

8. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    I'll look at them. Thanks you guys.