1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Buffing Bartolini Pick ups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by chinjazz, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Hi, I'm doing clean up on a bass of mine,...

Anyone out there ever buff your Bartolini pick ups? Mine are quite worn to a shine in a few spots and I'd like to get the rest of them down to that shine..

If so, what did you do?

Thanks,
    Adam

2. 202dy

202dy

Sep 26, 2006
    Two products that come to mind are rubbing compounds or Micromesh abrasives.

3. Diego

Diego

Dec 9, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    I've done it with 3M white pads (you want to STAY AWAY from steel wool for this particular purpose) and a bit of beeswax only. I found however, that you actually do not need the 3M pads unless there is material build-up on your PUs.

Diego

4. 202dy

202dy

Sep 26, 2006
  5. If you want to replicate the factory-fresh look and texture, find somebody with a light-duty sandblaster, have them shoot the pickups with some fine-grain sand, then give the pickups a light coating of Johnsons & Johnsons baby oil. They'll look brand new.

6. Hey 202dy, Diego, and Terry,

I appreciate you steering me in the right direction. I ended up going with something very similar to what 202dy and Diego mentioned. It was the easiest path and I had all the materials I needed on hand.

I took some 2000 grit wet/dry sand paper, and wrapped it around a sanding sponge I had, and taped off the PUs, and started sanding. In the end it was close enough for "rock and roll". I could have gone more crazy to make them perfect, but I'm happy with the results.

Here are some pictures for anyone else that wants to try it:

Prep

th_Bart_1sm.

After 1st pass

th_Bart_2sm.

Final

th_Bart_3sm.

Thanks guys!!
    Adam