1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bugera Bxd15a

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Romexxisbass, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Romexxisbass

Romexxisbass

Oct 11, 2019
    I recently bought my Bugera amp through zzounds.com. i noticed , like a few others i saw here, about the amp having an led issue , where the orange around the volume knob turned red, and there was nothing in the manual about it whatsoever. Here is what i figured out.. maybe it will help.
    I at first thought it was maybe a clipping register, however, noticed no issue in sound quality. The amp is 1000 watts , and i made several calls trying to get customer service, on the amp through Bugera/Berhinger. So i played a gig out (my first one with this powerhouse little combo) and I noticed, that no matter how hard i played or how loud i got, it never showed up a red light on my amp. My thought now, is that these may be another issues entirely. I was on stage and my amp was the only thing pulling power through the plug in /circuit on my side. I think this red light showing up, is if the power supply isnt strong enough to support the amp drain. And it redlights to let you know it hasnt got enough juice to maintain, the amp draw. I had no red light flash, not even once in the venue. Maybe this will help others out..

2. Bassface65

Bassface65

May 10, 2019
    Yea I have this same amp, and absolutely love it. I have had mine over a year and have played several shows with it, but I use mine mainly as a monitor as we always have foh support and I run from the di out from the back of my amp.

But I have ran into the problem you described from the orange led turning red around the volume knob, and like you I tried everything you had mentioned....I got mine from Sweetwater and attempted to contact them to no avail.

At first I thought I might be pushing the amp to hard, but the light would never be a constant on all the time, it would only flash from time to time...your description of what it possibly could be sound good to me, whether that's what it is or not it sounds plausible.

I just wish the manual was more descriptive when it comes to things like this.

3. Romexxisbass

Romexxisbass

Oct 11, 2019
    I absolutely agree. They could have made it easier lol. But what i got to debating was, this thing is 1000 watts. So it pulls tremendously for a combo. And it happens only when im in circuit line with another amp, or strong draw on that circuit. I think it brown outs my power pull. Its literally the only think i can think of that makes sense at the moment.. lol

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    1000 watts into a single 15" speaker? I think it may be closer to 250 watts.

5. Romexxisbass

Romexxisbass

Oct 11, 2019
    No sir. 1000 watts solid state mosfet preamp. Look the specs up.

6. Romexxisbass

Romexxisbass

Oct 11, 2019
    I literally posted the amp, name and type. Its not that difficult to look up specs before assuming..

7. Romexxisbass

Romexxisbass

Oct 11, 2019
    This is the condensed version..

Attached Files:

8. CTBassGuy

CTBassGuy Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2018
    Danbury, CT
    If you are running it alongside another amp and other equipment, it is very possible that the amp is seeing a voltage drop from the circuit and that is what it is indicating. Are you running the 2 amps off of the same power strip, or just on the same circuit in the building? If on the strip, that may be your culprit. Long length and small wire gauge of an extension cord can cause that kind of thing to happen too.

Bugera rates their amps at "Maximum output power" which is different from many other manufacturers that rate theirs at "RMS Power" (like Mesa, for example) which is usually about 1/4 the value of the maximum output power. Not to say Bugeras are not perfectly good amps, as I think they are; I have the "2,000 watt" bv1001t tube pre/class D head, and I think it sounds great and gets plenty loud, but it certainly is not 20x more powerful than my 100 watt Ampeg V4B.

Just want to help alleviate confusion and avoid comparing apples to oranges...

Romexxisbass likes this.
  9. CTBassGuy

CTBassGuy Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2018
    Danbury, CT
    Oh, and welcome to Talk Bass!

Romexxisbass likes this.
  10. Romexxisbass

Romexxisbass

Oct 11, 2019
    Thank ya sir..lol havent been playing bass that long.. guitar and drums were my thing. Just recently (about 6 weeks ago) began playing for the band im in.

CTBassGuy likes this.
  11. Romexxisbass

Romexxisbass

Oct 11, 2019
    Absolutely. I think bc i was plugged straight in on the tally show, to my own wall circuit, is why it didnt. Ive been on the same circuit with a blue voodoo head (tube) at the practice room. And thats usually when the red light chimes in..

12. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Looked it up. Turns out I was right. Directly from the manual:

bug.

13. Bassface65

Bassface65

May 10, 2019
    I knew it wasn't 1,000 watts when I got the amp, as I did a lot of research before buying this amp, and reading the comments on sweetwater.

I knew that I wanted a combo amp and this one really appealed to me, so I bought it and I tell ya what, I have not been disappointed with this amp at all, it sounds fantastic and I've got nothing but compliments on the sound of this amp.....along side my Sterling SUB Ray 5, I have found the perfect little bass rig for me....lol