1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Building a hard shell case?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by wdinc01, Apr 9, 2006.

1. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Forgive me if this is in the wrong place (it's the best place I could think of posthing this question). Anyway, I ordered a Spector Legend Classic 4, which should be here in a few days (yay). But I have a bit of a problem...

Before I had a Spector Performer, which I had in a Road Runner gig bag. It seemed like it had too much space in there, and now I realize it's probably because Spectors tend to be small. Well my only solutions is probably getting a hard shell case (okay, not my ONLY solution, I just want one), and for $70 I can just get some generic one that may work will with my instrument. I'm not going to consider Spector branded ones because I hear they arn't too good.

And now I'm considering building one myself (mostly because I just wanna build something). So that brings me to my question: how hard is it to build a hard shell case? Is it more expensive? What kind of materials would I need? Should I consider this or just buy one already made?

Thanks in advance.

2. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    my advice is to get a good ritter bag. and, if you ship overseas, a bass safe. do a search on that one. your knees will thank you for it.

it cant be more difficult than building a bass, so im sure it can be done. remember to use extreme amounts of padding. you dont want your case to be the one that puts dings in your bass.

3. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    The building could be pretty simple. It does take some planning: what kind of case, what material, where to get material, and such things.

4. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Well I'm sure I can get wood easily. If I told my father I wanted to build one, I'm certain he'll help. But what I'm wondering most about is getting the casing for the outside. What should I use for that?

5. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Whatever you want. Why not do it up like an amp and just glue some sort of vinyl over the wood? Building cases is something I've put some thought into but I don't have any instruments that warrant that kind of effort that don't already have their own cases. Maybe someday.

-Nate

6. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Ive heard most people that build their own cases end up regretting that they didnt just buy one with the money and time they spent making their own.