1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Building a rig on a budget

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassmentjim, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Hey guys,

I'm brand new to talkbass, so please forgive me if I sound ignorant. I'm looking at putting together a bass rig at the moment, though i'm working in a fairly tight budget. Currently, here's what I have on the cards for $1200 AU.

2x JBL E-140 15" Speakers
    Jands 510 Series Power Amp (Runs 500w+500w @ 4 ohms & 300w+300w @ 8 ohms)
    Ampeg Pre-Amp (I'm not sure of the specs on this cos i'll be buying it off a friend, but i'll post it when I get them)
    DBX 262 Project 1 Stereo Compressor

I will eventually be getting 2 4x10 boxes as well, though they'll come later. I know I don't necessarily need anything too big, at least for a while yet, but like I said earlier, be kind, I don't know too much about the tech stuff.

2. I just realised I didn't really add a question. I guess I'm just asking people's opinions on the gear etc

3. dannster

dannster

Aug 20, 2000
    Seattle,WA
    Should be able to play any stadium or arena anywhere in the world when you're done.

4. Dannster,

Sounds good too me, not that I'll be needing that anytime soon though :p

I think I've seriously just confused myself. I saw the sticky thread about Ohms, over/underpowering etc, and I'm starting to wonder whether or not this whole venture could come crashing down. The 2 JBL's are rated at 400W cont @ 8 ohms, and the Jands power amp runs at 500w a side @ 4 ohms and 300w a side @ 8 ohms. So, and please if i'm wrong correct me, if I were to run the 2 JBL's off either side (1 cab connected to each output), they would run at 8 ohms = 300w...

The part I dont get is, when you run the ohms down (say if were to add another 8 ohm cabinet), isn't that supposer to cut the Watts in half??

I think I'm really confused :(

5. dannster

dannster

Aug 20, 2000
    Seattle,WA
    if you run your cabs, one to each side they will be running with 300 watts at eight ohms. They'll be fine.

If you add 8ohm 410 cabs to each side. You'll have two eight ohm cabs per side running at four ohms. They'll be fine then too.

Thats a lot of speakers though.

Bill Fitz Maurice can set the record for you on the underpowering myth.
    http://billfitzmaurice.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1886

6. Yes it is a lot of speakers. Overkill, for sure, but I'd want be prepared for every eventuality I guess. And yes, 4 speaker boxes, though useless in a club (I'd never take 4 cabs to a small gig mind you. I might be young, but I know retarded when I see it), great for outdoor festivals etc, which I have played a number of. Thanks for the assistance mate, very much appreciated!

:) Jim