1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Building walking basslines - Approach notes complications

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by OnlyJerry, May 17, 2011.

1. OnlyJerry

OnlyJerry

Mar 28, 2011
    Bryne, Norway
    Hello fellow TBers,

I'm going through Building Walking Basslines by Ed Friedland right now. It's a fantastic book, and I've learned alot in a few days. Right now the book is covering chromatic approach notes, where I have come to a slight halt.

Please take a look at the attachment before reading on.

In the first bar(F7 chord) the lower approach note to the fifth note is a natural B, since the fifth is a C note. After playing the fifth the illustration tells me to play the upper chromatic approach note, which would be a C#/Db note. But here the illustration shows a B note(same as lower approach).

As you can see in the attachment, the second bar has the correct lower/upper approach notes. Am I doing something wrong here, or is the book faulty?

Attached Files:

2. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    Spørs om det ikke er en feil der gitt.

3. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    It is a B because it is an upper chromatic approach note to the Bb in the next measure, not to the C that you've already played.

The Gb in the second measure is an upper chromatic approach not because it follows the F in the second measure, but because (presumably) the first note in the third measure is an F.

4. TobyBass55

TobyBass55

Dec 7, 2009
    MI
    I assumed that the B natural at the 4th beat of the first measure is an upper approach note to the B flat that comes next. ie, at the beginning of the second measure.

edit: beat me to it :) was still typing when post above went in

5. OnlyJerry

OnlyJerry

Mar 28, 2011
    Bryne, Norway
    That explains it, thanks alot for the quick answers :)

6. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA