1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Burned transistors and resistors Mesa Carbine M6

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dalmobossen, Mar 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Dalmobossen

Dalmobossen

Mar 14, 2018
    7CB4678D-9014-4316-823E-7CFBB4023043. hi.
    I have a mesa carbine m6 since 2013. A few weeks ago it burned out the transistors and the resistors on the card in front of them. We thought is was caused from a jammed fan. A little plstic pin had been sucked in to it. I had it in for repair at a local specialized electric repair shop. They switched all the burned out components. Last sunday i tried it for the first time after it was repaired. I got through half a song before it turned silent and then it burned again. Have anyone been experiencing this with the m6? All help is gratefully taken.

2. Welcome to Talk Bass.

In your place I would contact Mesa customer service and arrange to send the amp in or to get the nearest Mesa repair place.. Obviously your local repair shop didn’t do a good enough job.

BadExample and MrLenny1 like this.
  3. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    You will need to contact the authorized service center in your region. Since you indicated in your PM to me that you are from Europe (if I read it right), contact the distributor in your region. Here's a link to authorized service centers and international distributors:

Support | MESA/Boogie®

4. Dalmobossen

Dalmobossen

Mar 14, 2018
    That’s in Finland A long way to send it. Probably needs to go through customs and such.

5. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Doug Parent likes this.
  6. Dalmobossen

Dalmobossen

Mar 14, 2018
  7. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    I'm sorry, I mis-read what you posted, I thought you were in Finland.

You need to contact the distributor located in Finland and ask them what they have set up for service centers. Each country's distributor is responsible for service centers in their region. They will tell you everything that you need to know. Yes, you may have to ship your amp, but check with them.

8. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
  9. Dalmobossen

Dalmobossen

Mar 14, 2018
    Oh thank you! The one in stockholm is just an hour away!

10. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Thanks. This is the information that the distributor (who is located in Finland) would supply. The reason to go through the distributor is because not all service centers work on all products and I don't want to give misleading information (some may be set up only to service tube amp products). I don't have access to this information from my R&D lab.

mindwell likes this.
  11. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    That happened to my M6...I was told this happened to the very early run of M6s, and that I needed "the upgrade", $500, a whole bunch of parts replaced and 2 weeks later it was good as new and re-homed.
    When it happened it was like pyro at a Kiss concert.
    No opinions here, just facts as it happened to me.
    Mesa was great in handling it and me.

12. Dalmobossen

Dalmobossen

Mar 14, 2018
    Well no one offered me an upgrade. I have a 2012. I think that they should fix it for free since they know there’s a problem.

13. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Really? Your amp is over 5 years old.

I believe 2102 is well after those earliest amps that did have a problem, and there only a few of the M6 models that did, it was mostly M9's which were of course covered under the factory warranty.

You need to work through an authorized service center, general repair shops are not usually successful with repairs because most don't understand how to properly repair these amps. That is likely why your amp's repair didn't last. I already gave you this information, if you choose not to follow through with it then I can't help you any further.

14. Dalmobossen

Dalmobossen

Mar 14, 2018
    Ok I understand. What would you say is the estimated cost for a repair like this if I would leave it at one of your repair centers?

15. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    I have no idea, I don't know how service centers operate and what they might charge in other countries. They are not our repair centers, they are service centers that the importer/distributor either operates or contracts with. We provide technical support and parts but do not have anything to do with what they charge.

16. Dalmobossen

Dalmobossen

Mar 14, 2018
    I see.