Burning Jazz Azola Youtube

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by basss, Jan 30, 2009.

1. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY

2. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Thoroughly Nice Guy Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Not enough bass in the mix in the first three tunes, or it just isn't coming thru (notice I didn't say "cutting" thru). Still, very cool, and, tight while not being constricted.

I'd never seen an image or vid of Plaxico. I always thought he was older than he is.

3. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    Yes the mix sucks - I think he's playing through a Fender guitar amp?!? It's obvious we're hearing it through a camcorder mic. Just thought it was cool - IMO the Bugbass fits the vibe of this music nicely.

4. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Thoroughly Nice Guy Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    No, it isn't obvious what sort of mic is being used, but thanks for letting me know. It does explain art of what I'm (not) hearing. I just now noticed that amp beside him.

5. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    Having heard many a camcorder recording I would bet that that they aren't using a high quality separate mic here. It really has that compressed midrangey sound that you get from those mics.

6. The fender amp beside him is for the red keyboard to his right. His amp is behind him, he adjusts it at 45 seconds in the second recording listed.

7. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    Good eye. Lonnie is a heavyweight player - I should have realized he wouldn't be playing through a guitar amp.

8. Wow, what a great drummer. I would love to play with him!
    Everytime I have heard EUB, I have always thought electric bass or "real upright" would sound better. In this case I would prefer to hear electric bass.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021