1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Burns nu-sonic

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stormer, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Stormer

Stormer

Jul 24, 2012
    I was given a Burns nu-sonic bass many years ago by my girlfriend at the time. It was pretty beat up and in need of some serious work.
    So I emailed Burns to see if i could get replacement parts for it and was told that they didnt make them anymore and so would need to source parts myself. (the bass is a '65 or '66. I got it in '98).
    In the end i used parts from an old jazz copy i had. The machine heads were a little too big for the headstock so i had to cut them to fit and drill the headstock, i was young and didnt do a very good job but the bass is now functional.

Anyway, i seen recently that Burns are selling this bass again and I want to know if anyone has any experience with these new ones. My nu-sonic is a beast, the neck pickup sounds so good when solo'ed, it growls like a monster.

2. bootsox

bootsox

Apr 28, 2012
    Biloxi, MS
    I didn't even realize that Burns was still in business. I'm sure the new ones are just as good as the older ones.

3. mossleydagger

mossleydagger

Oct 5, 2012
    I have a 1964 one of these, it's great! Really playable and sounds cool. It's the used on the Beatles Revolver album (Taxman and Dr Robert particularly). Keep a hold of it, might be worth something one day?

4. bill reed

bill reed

Apr 2, 2012
    scotland
    Hi
    McCartney has said he in his books and on bass master that played a Rickenbacker 4001 through a Marshall stack rather then the fender bassman or vox amp that he used most of the time.
    i don't know what bass he used on Dr. Robert but never ever seen a picture of him with a burns.
    i know the Shadows used them before swaping to Fender and Jet Harris used a Burns for many years.

5. beatlesrain.