1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Buy now or wait?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gabriel192, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Wait for Sterling by Musicman Ray35

12 vote(s)
    25.5%
  2. Buy G&L L-2500 Tribute now

11 vote(s)
    23.4%
  3. Buy Lakland 55-01 now

17 vote(s)
    36.2%
  4. Other? (Please mention)

7 vote(s)
    14.9%
  1. gabriel192

gabriel192

Mar 23, 2009
    I've been playing the bass for around 8 months now, but don't own a bass yet. I play moderately well. I have a rather big (for me) gig coming up, and I'd like to buy a bass for it (I currently play a crappy J-bass copy).

My top 3 choices currently are the G&L Tribute L-2500, Lakland Skyline 55-01, and the upcoming Sterling by Musicman Ray35.

First of all, is there another bass in the $800 range you'd consider? (I mostly play praise & worship and jazz)

And my question is, would you buy the bass now, or wait for the Ray35 to come out?

2. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    Hit the TB classifieds, you can score a lot of bass in the used market for $800.

3. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    USA
    Other. For praise and worship/jazz gigs, I'd pick up a used Jazz of some sort out of the classifieds.

4. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    +1

If you do a bit of shopping, you can find a US L2500 for this price. Don't be afraid to buy used from someone with a good reputaion. There are lots of guys here on TB that will do you right. You'll also find that some of these 'used' instruments are in better shape than the 'new' basses you will find hanging on the wall at GC or Sam Ash. They typically have a better setup as well.

The Lakland is also a nice option (especially if you plan on modding it), but the electronics package in the G&L is far superior IMO. I have not been impressed with the Bart MK1 pups or pre whereas the G&L MFD pups are on my list of all-time favorites.

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The new Sterling series is due out this month. I would wait and check them out. What I see looks pretty good to me.:)

6. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
  7. ironrat

ironrat

Sep 24, 2008
    buy an SX?

8. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    $800 will get you a lot of used bass.

I'll add to the chorus of check the TB classifieds.

9. gabriel192

gabriel192

Mar 23, 2009
    Do you guys think buying used is safe? I'm avoiding that option because of that very reason. I'd rather buy new.

Also, I've decided to wait until the Sterling by [...] comes out and then decide amongst these three…other than this gig, I guess waiting won't hurt.

Thanks guys!

10. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    If you know what you are looking for and know how to appraise gear, you should be safe.:)

11. RobertPaulson

RobertPaulson

Dec 11, 2008
    Des Moines
    I buy 90% of my gear used. Just don't send money orders or anything, and make sure you buy from someone with a good reputation. If anything feels off, don't do it. I've never had an issue buying gear online.

12. gabriel192

gabriel192

Mar 23, 2009
    Well, I'll look into used. That said, I think I'd still feel comfortable buying new. Plus, international shipping fees would run high, right?

I just found this bass on musiciansfriend: http://tr.im/hZqa
    It's the Fender Jazz Bass 24 V 5-String Bass Guitar. For the price, I'm guessing it's MIM. Does anyone own this, or have played this? Would like to hear your opinion, please. :)

13. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    I haven't purchased "new" gear in a few years but I have purchased several "new to me" pieces in that time.

Just use some common sense and you should be fine. I was hesitant to buy used gear at first but now I don't even consider buying new. Let someone else pay the depreciation ;)

14. BluesWalker

BluesWalker Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Have you played any of these basses? If so, buy the one you like best. If not, try them out before thinking about this.

15. BluesWalker

BluesWalker Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I always buy used, and have never had a problem including purchases from e-bay. If I purchase from e-bay, I have already played that brand of bass somewhere else and ask the seller a lot of questions, etc.

16. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    either a Lakie 55-01; 55-02 or a DJ5 will do you nicely!

I play Praise and Worship and my 55-02 and DJ5 fit in real nice!!! I have only played a 55-01 a couple of times but it seems to be alot of bass for the money!

a 55-01 will cost you less than $800; the 55-02 and D5 more but (for me) they are worth the extra cash!

17. tidnab

tidnab

Jan 21, 2009
    Simi Valley, CA
    for 800 take your pick... I've seen used J basses P basses MIA... HH stringray (4's) a ... marcus millers... really you can get a nice bass for 800... I'm pretty sure you can get a 2500 for less than your target price.... definitely check out the classifieds... I've gotten some great stuff from fellow tb'ers... and most of the guys have 'the right price' too :D:bassist:

18. gabriel192

gabriel192

Mar 23, 2009
    Aren't the 55-01's electronics inferior to the G&L Trib L2500?

19. gabriel192

gabriel192

Mar 23, 2009
    bump

20. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    Most of my basses are used. It's hard to get burned from a reputable seller. Just check their feed back and see if you can return it if you are unhappy.