Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BUZZ on A

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by simongpaez, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Hello can anyone help , I have a 5 string bass with a lot of Buzz on the A string, non of the other strings are buzzong only the A string pretty much everywhere in the board.

Any advice?

Thanks

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Raise the saddle in the bridge to raise teh action.

3. Done already, and still has the buzz and only on the A string, the rest are fine

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    what frets?

5. I just traded the bass, It is an MTD 535 so its new for me, The old owner told me that the strings where new, and they feel lite they are, the starnge thing is that the only string buzzing is the A the rest are just fine so it is not the frets, the other strings are in the same height as this one so its not the height, the buzz is in open strings and all over the board so its not the nut.

Any suggestions??

6. eldave777

eldave777

May 24, 2005
    When you put on new strings try adding a wrap or two to the A string on the peg. That will make the string angle greater and might reduce the buzz.

7. Joshua any tip to measure the relief?

8. I'll do it and let you know how it went

9. Thanks a lot man , I'll try it and let you know how it went!!! :)

10. Also you might have a defective string, try that out.

11. Mach1FT

Mach1FT

Jan 5, 2006
    Manchester NH

Good luck I just got a new 535, hey i wonder if it's the buzz system thats on it, if it is it works like a charm... sent mine to mike not sure what he did, got it home opened the case waiting for greatness and Woohoo!!! Buzz city :rollno: the nerd I bought it from offered me a great deal he'd give me 2400 for it on trade after I paid 3799 for it a month eariler :(

12. mamm7215

mamm7215

Mar 23, 2005
    If your action is OK and the relief is good then it's most likely the nut slot for the A string is too deep.