1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Buzzing Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by steveo33, Mar 31, 2013.

1. steveo33

steveo33

Nov 11, 2009
    Cleveland, OH
    Gang,

I have a home-built 18" cab that's served me faithfully for 20 + years. I recently picked up a GK MB200 to gig the smaller places, and when it get the amp close to 3/4 max on the volume, I get a horrific buzz/vibration from the speaker on certain mid range notes, mainly the A string. I thought cracked cone, but that's not it. Tightend up the speaker, but still get it.

I can't remember what the cab can handle, is the MB200 too hot for it, or maybe something I can glue to get the vibration out? Maybe something loose in a baffle?

Thanks,
    s33

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Steve, if by 3/4 max you are referring to the volume control position it is quite likely you are trying to get more out of the amp than it has to give. Position of the volume knobbie has no connection to what the amp is actually putting out.

Edit: What is the impedance of your DIY 18 and what is the output of the MB200 at that impedance?

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 to that all the way.

4. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Just checked: the MB200 is 200W into 4Ω. If your 18 is 8Ω that equates to a bit over 100W into your cabinet.

5. steveo33

steveo33

Nov 11, 2009
    Cleveland, OH
    It's a 4 ohm cab. You think the amp is being pushed too much?
    Have to get my gui**** to calm down.

Thanks,
    S33