1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Buzzing sounds on frets

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by loldrummer, Jan 22, 2012.

1. loldrummer

loldrummer

Jun 20, 2011
    Hey guys!
    Ever since I got my bass, I've been having these Buzz sounds when I press on my frets on my bass guitar and play (My bass is a Fender squier J bass). I'm sorry about this question, I'm a beginner xD. I asked my teacher how do I "Reduce" Or make my buzz sounds be gone, He said that It need a good setup.
    When I bought the bass, The Salesman there went with the bass and did a Setup on it. And no, I don't press too hard on my Frets and I don't really play so hard xD.

What should I do? These buzz sounds are quite annoying..
    Thanks a lot for the help :).

2. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    It can either be:

1) It needs to be setup again

2) Your left hand technique: Make sure you fret right behind the fret and press down hard enough

3) Right hand technique: If you pluck too hard it will buzz no matter what. Also make sure you're playing the strings parallel to the body and not pluck down and above the strings (if that makes sense)

3. metlman72

metlman72

Jun 29, 2011
    Long Island NY
    Your bass teacher is 100% correct. This is a simple action adjustment that should have been done at the store during the initial setup. If you literally just bought it I would go back to the store and tell them. They should do it free of charge. Worst case you shell out the cash for a set up.

I would think if it were a technique issue your teacher would have pointed that out, so it must be the bass itself.

4. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Are you fretting near the center of the fret, not near/touching the fretwire? If not, start with that. The next step would be having the store set it up again. Hopefully that will resolve.

If not, it could be that the nut has been cut too deeply, or that you have uneven frets on the instrument. Both of those are normally considered part of a thorough setup, but aren't typically done for new instrument purchases.

If that's the case, you will to exchange that particular bass for another and hopefully it won't have the same issue, or get a recommendation of a good luthier in your area to do that work. It will be cheapest to exchange the bass.

This is a very condensed answer, but hopefully it points you in the right direction.

Bob

5. Bass and guitar necks can change due to the seasons (temp & humidity).
    An instrument that got a really good setup in the summer may need a few tweaks in the winter, so don't automatically blame the setup you got. Just the way things are.

A small trussrod adjustment and/or raising the bridge height will likely cure your fret buzz.

Another possibility is that when you last changed your strings, the gauge chosen was lighter than what was on the bass when it was setup. This can easily cause the problem described. You need to stay with the same gauge strings or a new setup is almost mandatory, both for neck adjustment, action height, and intonation.