1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Buzzing Stingray Pickup

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LightningBug, Sep 30, 2009.

1. LightningBug

LightningBug

Sep 30, 2009
    This is my first post, so I hope I put this thread in the right place.

I have a Stingray that is about six or seven years old. I've had it since it was new and I love it like a family member. For several years it has had one quirk that has driven me up the wall. Whenever I totally remove my hands from the strings the bass produces a pretty loud humming sound from the amp. As long as I am touching a string the hum goes away. I'm a musician and not an electrician, but it strikes me that this is probably a grounding problem.

Does this sound familiar to any other stingray owners? Is this problem common? Does anybody know about a solution? Any tips would be appreciated.

2. pringlw

pringlw

Nov 22, 2008
    Seattle Area
    I've had that problem with different basses, but never with a Stingray. Usually the electronics on Stingrays are perfection.

There's always a little difference in "hum" when you have your hands on the strings or not, but on a Stingray it should be minimal - basically unnoticeable. It sounds as though you have a grounding problem. Pretty easy to fix, I go at it as follows;

- Put the bass down on a nice soft surface
    - Get a medium sized phillips screwdriver
    - Come to your senses and bring it to a repair shop

Works for me every time.

thorstiborsti likes this.
  3. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    :
    :D