Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by heretic, Apr 24, 2005.

1. :eyebrow:

I have been trying for days now to get a decent action on my Ibanez BTB300. Right now I've got the strings at a decent height but I keep getting buzz at the 14th through the 24th frets. Its worse on the A and E strings than the G and D. I'm using medium gauge (45-105) What can I do now? I don't live anywhere near a tech and I'm determined to do it myself.

2. Thanks for the help. I just tightened it 1/4 of a turn... How long should it take for the neck to settle?
  3. Will do...

another Q: When it says "On my bass, it moves about the thickness of a credit card" on the Gary Willis site regarding relief, is that in reference to how much space should be between the strings and the 8th fret or what? Could you please explain it more thouroughly? At the moment I could probably fit 2 times that between there.

4. ok, well after last nights adjustments I have about a credit card and a half. Everything feels fine but I still get the buzzing (more of a rattle actually) on the 14th+ frets. Is it possible that there is no way to get rid of it?
  5. 1) Yes, the relief is the same through all the strings.

2) Yes, I have raised the strings just a hair and most off the buzz is now minimal except for a few of the extremely high frets.

3) Not sure if there is a shim. What is it?

Thanks for all the help
  6. Will un-bolting the neck affect the truss rod adjustments I have made? I bought this bass new, do you think I could email Ibanez CS and find out if they use shims?
  7. Well I mailed them but just incase I never get a reply or they don't know... What does a shim look like? any pics?
  8. gapupten

Dec 29, 2004
    For my 2 cents, I would try to take your 1 1/2 credit card gap down to 1 credit card and raise the saddles a little more. Although added unnecessary shims could produce the same problem as described, they are unlikely in a new bass.
  9. Well I'm pretty sure there's no shim so I took gapupten's advice and gave it one last tightening. It feels perfect now. The action is somewhat low with no buzz. Thanks for all the help guys!